Cherry eye, long pallet?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
So I took Miila to the vet yesterday, boy that was fun. She has a long pallet and he vet gave me some meds for this. While we were there her little cherry eye popped out (first time seeing this) so I got ointment for her eye as well. My main question or one of them is will medicine do any good? This dr wasnt very outgoing if you know what I mean so I have no idea what the med does or what. I am not a fan of meds for no reason so does anyone know of an oral med for a long pallet? He didnt seem like he gave much of a rats behind to tell you the truth so I would like a real opinion from you all. For the cherry eye, do drops do anything really or is it more to sooth the eye? It went back in but then popped back out again today so I am guessing this will be something we have to have removed when we get her spayed. It isnt big from what I have seen on here comparatively anyhow but still.... And the pallet surgery... Is this something necessary do you guys think? She is very loud breathing compared to Cutty so I had a feeling this was the cause. She seems fine tho but damn if she isnt the loudest snorer in the house! By far! BUT she is so friggin cute! :heart: her. :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ok! I'm new to all this stuff too..comparitevly speaking! But Jake has a elongated pallet too...my vet said if he were a real active dog..she would suggest surgery..but it shouldn't impair him if left alone. Seems all his brothers have it also and we are just going to leave it..watch it and see how he does...cherry eye..I've no experience with!..also..no meds for the pallet for Jake..but I suppose there are varying degrees!

..a side note..Jake doesn't snore AT ALL!

Last edited:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I have not heard of meds. to treat an elongated pallet. Two of my Bulldogs have had pallet clips, both were laser which costs more but is much easier on the dog. Mine were done when they were 1 year old. I was told the longer you wait the tougher the surgery, something about the pallet getting thicker. Mack's pallet clip was easy, a 15 minute textbook operation, no swelling, etc. Chester was under for more than an hour and it was a difficult surgery; as soon as he got off the operating table and on to the floor he took a big dump--his way of letting them know what he thought of the surgery! Chester had a lot of swelling and I had to take him back to the Vet that did the surgery twice (5 hr. drive rnd. trip). Chester's palate clip was necessary because of his breathing problems. Mack benefited from his but it wasn't a life or death matter.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No experience on the cherry eye.. sorry. However, Nitschke had the pallet reduction surgery. Our vet noticed on one of his first visits but did not recommend surgery till he was 2, which is when we had it done -- along with widening his nostrils and something else with his throat (memory issues). anyway, there were no meds during his two years and he definitely breathes a lot better. still snores like a chainsaw

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So glad nothing serious, don't have much experience with either of these so no help here, sorry. There is a video on youtube about massaging the cherry eye back in, maybe will prolong surgery a little while. She is lucky to have you as her bully mom.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks you guys, great info! [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] I will look into the video for sure. She needs spayed soon anyhow so I figure what she does need done will be done at the same time but am waiting to see what all the outcome is. I hadnt heard of med for a long pallet either but am hoping someone has? [MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] if need be I will look into lazor also thank you for that. May I ask how much that was vs. regular if you remember?

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] The eye med may or may not work, so you just have to watch it. What happens is that there is not enough room in the pocket below the eye to hold the gland in if it swells for whatever reason, such as tear duct blocking. Removing the swelling could be all that is needed, buuuuut, now that the gland has found the path of least resistance, it may now find it easier and easier to pop out. I've seen videos where the owner had to simply massage the cherry back in when it popped out, no big deal, and for awhile that is all we needed to do for Moe's, but after awhile it was out more than in, then eventually out all the time... but this was while he was still growing. Hopefully her pocket will welcome the gland back in and not be an issue.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] Oh, and we didn't have Moe's cherry eye removed, the vet reworked the pocket so it would hold the gland better... so far it is holding well. I have heard pros and cons to removing the gland vs the pocket surgery... the way I perceive it is that there is a risk of the cherry eye returning with the pocket surgery. Our vet claimed that she has more than an 80% success rate of the cherry not returning, and the surgery can be repeated if the first attempt did not take. Having the gland removed garuntees that it will not return however, now you are forced with a dry eye situation because that gland is responsible for 30% of the tear production, and you will have to use eye drops or ointment daily for the rest of her life. We was worried about Moe having dry eye even after his surgery since his production was down during his cherry and immediately after his surgery, but a month after his surgery when we took him for a check up, his tear production was normal.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
how is the med supposed to work on the palate? It just sounds fishy. I would just look up what he gave you and see what the web says about them. How is she doing otherwise?

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
how is the med supposed to work on the palate? It just sounds fishy. I would just look up what he gave you and see what the web says about them. How is she doing otherwise?
I was thinking the same. I think I will look it up and see. Today I am taking the boys in for nails/anals and am also taking her in too. I am worried about Cutty having eaten a pair of chonies so I am having them xray for the heck of it. (paranoid I know) He seems fine but he did it once before and I didnt know until he threw them up which is scary. Yesterday he kinda was gagging as if there was something he wanted to throw up so I wanna make sure. I figure sine I am seeing the vet (not a bulldog vet) I would have them look at her and maybe see what they say since my first vet attempt was not very helpful whatsoever. Will let you guys know what this one says.
[MENTION=410]Telly03[/MENTION] thank you for that info. I am hoping it will correct itself and go away for good but we will see. Have also heard that removing the sac isnt a good idea. I guess if it is impossible to treat any other way then ok but more as a last resort I think. She isnt very fond of eye drops at all. lol. Otherwsie she is doing very well here but the boys havent let her into their "pack" yet. She is so naive she doesnt know but it makes me sad. The boys tolerate her but if she gets playful forget it. Has only been a few days so I am hoping eventually they come around. Not sure how they couldnt she is just such a total lover! She makes me laugh all the time she is so funny.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Otherwsie she is doing very well here but the boys havent let her into their "pack" yet. She is so naive she doesnt know but it makes me sad. The boys tolerate her but if she gets playful forget it. Has only been a few days so I am hoping eventually they come around. Not sure how they couldnt she is just such a total lover! She makes me laugh all the time she is so funny.

I'm sure she'll be eventually welcomed but for now, :*(.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
It took Winnie several days to accept Moe, but when she did, it was an instant turn around in behavior.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] I don't remember the cost of the laser pallet clips but I think it was twice as much as traditional surgery. Also, I was living in Central Oregon at the time and the vet that did laser was set up only for horses, so I had to go to Springfield, OR 2&1/2 hours away.
It may take your boys a couple of weeks or more to accept Miila but once they do they will be friends for life!

Most Reactions