Uh oh...

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
So, Brooke was spayed a week ago yesterday. Just noticed last night that she is having a TINY amount of dark, mucus like discharge (I only noticed because we have a white leather couch, otherwise I never would have even seen it, it's so little). I was worried it was coming from her stitches but when I flipped her over her wound looks almost completely healed, and it is coming from her lady parts. I called the vet and she has an appointment tomorrow. Anyone else experience this?

Just wanted to add that she is her normal crazy self and does not seem like she is hurting or at all bothered by it.

Last edited:

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
If it's dark, that might just be old blood from the surgery. I seem to remember something like this with Lupe because when she had blood spotting from a UTI is was always bright red (= new). But, I'm of course no Vet, and any blood is a good reason to call in like you're doing! Good luck.

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
yeahit must be old because it's very dark. doesn't even look red. more brown. when i first saw it on the couch I thought it was mud from her feet since it was rainy yesterday and she had just been out recently. I hate taking her to the vet for no reason, it's so expensive and her spay ended up costing $100 more than they had originally quoted us. Plus I'm just thinking, obviously it's inside, what tests are they going to do? Or are they going to say "She looks good otherwise call if it doesn't stop within a week" and charge us $50 for the office visit. Obviously her health is more important than money, I just hate feeling like the vet takes advantage of people and rather than advising over the phone wants the $$$ from the visit.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Did they ask you to bring a urine sample with you? This way the can test for a UTI which it could be. Banks had a UTI pretty much for over a year (dark yellow urine with blood in it).. as soon as it was gone it was back... just constant. Our vet finally decided (last resort) to do a vulvaplasty (my translation -- hooch reduction) - she has not had a UTI since the procedure. She just had too much skin/tissue in the area and it had to be removed.

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
no they didn't ask for a urine sample. but i don't think it is a uti, first of all because she is on/has been on antibiotics since her spay so I think that would have cleared it up or prevented it, and second of all because she has had a uti before but the blood was bright red and in her urine, not coming out at any other time like with this.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Antibiotics can cause bladder issues. We actually give HRH cranberry pills because she seemed to have issues and peed in the house after just having gone outside a few minutes beforehand when she was on antibiotics. The cranberry pills seem to have to helped and she hasn't had an accident in quite a while.

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] I know I've been wanting to start her on the cranberry pills but I didn't want to when she was spayed and on meds since then if she had a reaction I wouldn't know from what. And yes [MENTION=2363]Wlw9x[/MENTION] Brooke was peeing more and having accidents at first on the antibiotics, we just have been bringing her out more than usual and that's been fine.

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
So we took her to the vet yesterday and the vet said her incision looks great and that the discharge could just have been blood that "backwashed" during the surgery and it isn't a big deal, as long as it doesn't get worse. Also, the visit was NO CHARGE!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2514]Sarah[/MENTION], good to hear!! I don't think they should have charged you in the first place, to me is sounds like an after surgery check-up which should have been included with what you paid.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.