BLOOD in poop ???!!!

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Today I notices samsons poop was a little runny, so I went and checked it out and there was blood in it ???!! Is this something I should go to vet about right away or see if it gets better ? He turns 1 on October 15 th

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Ok I know in people bright red blood is usually an internal hemorrhoid. Darker blood is scarrier. His intestines are most likely irritated due to the loose poop. If it were me I would give it a day or two and see if it resolves itself. We use to see this a lot in daycare if the dog had eaten something that had upset their tummies or had chewed something that didn't digest well.

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Might I add he has been getting into the puppy food being a Bully , an the blood is bright red not dark . I noticed it the other day when I whipped his bum with a tissue , but his stools were solid , now soft ;/

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Okay , thank you for the quick response . I will give it a day or two and really keep a close eye on him. Besides this he seems like his happy go lucky healthy self

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Sounds like the puppy food isn't sitiing well with his tummy

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I hope that's the case , should I try the canned pumpkin or just let it be for now ?

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I would just keep him out of the puppy food. when his tummy is upset don't add anything new . If he was fine on his food before you don't want to rock the boat so to speak. If you are afraid that his food is too much right now you can feed him white rice with chicken broth and boiled hamburger.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I would not let it go past today.. if still there tomorrow I would callthe vet.. When Duke had this ( not trying to scare you but sure wish i knew ) he was passing a toy through his intestines... not sure if you thing maybe he got in to something he shouldn't have?
BUT the good thing in your case is he is not vomitting.. ( that is a good sign ) but if still blood tomorrow I would call. please keep us posted..
:hug:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I second what dozersmama said as it happened to Stig before but BabyDuke also brought out a good point from experience.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Collect a smaple and take it to the vet. They do not need to see him, just ask to have it tested and be sure to ask them to test for giardia (sp?) it is a parasite that casues blood in the stool. I've done it a few times with my vet.. and they are real nice about it. If the test comes back as a positive read - then they will want to see your baby.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
i agree. bright red poop, signs of irritation..prob from food. try bland diet..ground beef and rice. nothing else. maybe a little pepto. i have been told by vets unless it's really old, dark looking blood..usually not to worry. my westie had quite a bit of blood for a fews days and it was from overfeading. my bad! i was trying to fatten her skinny behind up! sorry daisy! after her belly settled..no prob.

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Just a little update , Sammy had 2 more bms today , still a little upset stomach but no blood

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.