Ear infection??

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
How can I tell if violet has a ear infection? Last night I noticed one of her ears was all crusty so I cleaned it with a wet wash cloth thinking maybe she scratched it. Well it was crusty again today. So how can I tell if its an ear infection

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Never clean ears with water, mix 25% apple cider vinegar. If it is a yeast infection, (brown funky stuff) you really need some good ear cleaner from your vet, I use malecetic-octic (only cuz it smells better than vinegar) ;)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I meant 75% water, 25% apple cider vinegar....

OP
Angievelvet

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
It was a Damp wash cloth. Not soaked just tried to clean what I could see tonight i used some whitch hazle to clean rge brown gunk. Its only in one ear.... Now how do i use the vinegar solution. I will have money next week but if I can help her now id feel much better
Thank you so much ;)

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
an ear infection is seen as scratching the ear,shaking the head,and the ears become swollen ,hot to touch and very red,i also usr acv once weekly only i use it neat just a couple of drops in each ear using a dropper with great results,karen

OP
Angievelvet

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
an ear infection is seen as scratching the ear,shaking the head,and the ears become swollen ,hot to touch and very red,i also usr acv once weekly only i use it neat just a couple of drops in each ear using a dropper with great results,karen

She hasn't really scratches it to much and isn't really shakking her head much but boy is it gunky. I will do the acv how many drops should I use?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i havent used the acv in the ear but i would assume just enough to get it in the ear canal good like 3 or 4 drops. also if that does not work for some reason zymox otic with or without hydrocortisone is supposed to be good for this. also there is something called dermapet malacetic otic for this to. the zymox had the most and best reviews. hope it gets better.

OP
Angievelvet

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] thanks

OP
Angievelvet

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
Poor violet I did the acv and now she's shaking her head and itchy :(

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i use 2 drops per ear ,the acv will remove any build up so she will shake her head and itch if there is a lot of gunk ,i know that when annie gets a build up there is an awful lot of gunk that runs out and it irritates her ,karen

OP
Angievelvet

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
i use 2 drops per ear ,the acv will remove any build up so she will shake her head and itch if there is a lot of gunk ,i know that when annie gets a build up there is an awful lot of gunk that runs out and it irritates her ,karen

Well I did clean it with the witch hazel and this morning her ear looked much better. I did the acv and oh big was she ticked off at me lol but her ear looked better tonight I will check in the morning and do it one more time in her one ear then start doing it weekly ;)

kdlaydee

Jan 19, 2011
Tampa, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
I noticed my Roscoe does much better if the ACV is warm. He used to flip out if anything was cold at his ear. They each have their own quirks lol!

rblanshan

Sep 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Eva
Malactic Otic is a good ear cleaner especially if it's yeast. There are other brands too, just make sure they have the same ingredients. Add some plain yogurt to their daily diet. Tablespoon for an adult, teaspon for a puppy. None flavored and watch the sugar content. Just like humans, the live culturs help bulldogs keep yeast in control.

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online