Tight corkscrew tail in a DEEP pocket...HELP!

Donna LeBlanc

Jul 7, 2011
East Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Punkie Brewster
My:bully:, Punkie Brewster has a very tight corkscrew tail in a very DEEP pocket. It doesn't bother her all the time but I can tell when it does. It's like she wants to scratch it but of course Bullies aren't built in a way that makes that possible. I have talked to her vet about amputation but he says her tail is not that bad. The last time she was at the vet for an eye issue, I asked him to check her tail...he said the same thing but added that their clinic doesn't do tail amputations any longer because they had a problem with the last amputation. That statement made me even more fearful about tail amputation.

All that being said, Punkie's tailpocket always has gunk and hair in it and it's always warm and moist and has an odor. :barf: I clean Punkie's tail/pocket a couple of times a week with an antibacterial/antifungal wash. After cleaning it, I dry it as best as I can and apply an antibacterial cream. After the cleaning/drying/medicating, she RUNS and looks for a place to hide...sometimes she goes out the doggie door as fast as she can to the far corner of the yard and just sits and then runs like she's trying to get away from something. It breaks my heart to see her act like she is in pain or uncomfortable.:cry:

Does anyone have a tried and true tail pocket cleaning ritual that works? I'm desperate :begging: and would be forever grateful for any/all comments or suggestions.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Well, i've only started this tail pocket cleaning ritual recently, for Finn and Tate, who also has a deep tail pocket. I've been cleaning them after every #2, which means about 3-4x/day right now. I take cotton pad and saturate it with witch hazel and just dig deep in there to get the gunk out. Witch hazel is often used when a person has hemorrhoids and is very soothing and cooling so i'm hoping it creates a pleasant sensation for my guys.
When they see me coming at them with my cotton in one hand and witch hazel in the other, they don't run away from me so that's a good sign :)

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
BabyGirl has the same problem. I use Malaket Shampoo and let it sit for 15 min. I have a portable dog tub in my garage and a hand nozzle hooked up from my laundry room so I can use warm water. I very thoroughly rinse her tail pocket and yes I even put my finger in and around to pull out loose hairs while I'm running the water on her tail. After drying I still use Qtips and cotton balls inside to get as much moisture out of the pocket as possible. I purchased some empty ketchup or mustard bottles (at Big Lots) and filled it with Goldbond foot powder. Since the tip is narrow I can gently get in the crevices of her tail pocket and squeeze that powder in. It sounds like a hassle but it's the only way BabyGirl can get relief. When she suffers I suffer too and I don't want her to go through any surgery if I can help it. So far it had been helping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I may be suggesting things you have already tried but ---Is Punkie and ideal weight? Sometimes losing a few pounds can help. I realize there are cases where owners have no choice but to amputate--but I would try EVERYTHING before I resorted to amputation.

Also, I clean Lucy's tail pocket daily. Have you tried daily cleanings? I wonder if that would help.

Here is what works/has worked for us. Lucy was heavier about a year ago. She lost about 5 pounds since then and I can tell difference--especially in her tail pocket. I use a solution of diluted baby shampoo and clean the pocket every day with a baby washcloth. Then I dry it with a dry baby cloth. I used to apply A&D ointment in there every day but now I can get away with doing it every other.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
three out my five bully's have tight, corkscrew tail pockets. But I clean them daily, keep them dry and once or twice a week put a dab of Desitine on the tip of my finger and run it through there. Must keep dry and clean. Desitine is a life savor for irritated skin.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Yes, I agree with [MENTION=2099]LucysMum[/MENTION]. I got BabyGirl to lose some weight (lots of green beans) and I can see the difference in her tail pocket. More flexibility in the folds making it easier to clean less irritation for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Donna LeBlanc

Jul 7, 2011
East Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Punkie Brewster
punkie b freckled belly.jpgThanks for all the tail pocket feedback. Punkie and I are grateful for all the suggestions. I already keep baby wipes by my chair and when she comes in from pottying, I clean and dry all her private parts and wrinkles to avoid infection. Punkie won't be happy about this, but I'm going to start a DAILY cleaning ritual. I'm going to purchase some baby washcloths to use...I think they would be less irritating to her skin. I use Desitin on her face wrinkles to keep them from getting irritated...I agree, Desitin is a MUST when you have a Bully. I'm going to try the Witch Hazel...have already tried Gold Bond and she thought her bottom was on fire...she didn't like the powder at all so I haven't used it again. Punkie is a big ol' lap dog at 66 pounds but the vet says she is not overweight. Should I cut her food intake back a little? She loves green beans and blueberries and I give her a bit of yogurt every day. I'm going to try the daily cleaning with baby washcloths. When I go to Walmart next time, I'm going to buy some Witch Hazel. I will let you know how this new ritual goes and if we achieve a clean, dry, itch-free tail pocket.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah also has a problem tail pocket and yes i would agree with daily cleaning. the antifungal/antibacterial wash is fine but i also use hydrocortisone cream after to take care of the itch. if the tailpocket smells that may be yeast so that would be good for it. u also need to keep it dry so i use lotrimin antifungal powder simply because it has a spout already perfect for squirting in the tail pocket. some dont like powder as it can tend to gunk up but i use it when i can feel moisture in there. Sarah also runs and hides under my computer or somewhere after i have done her. i think its more she is sick of me doing stuff to her for her yeast then she is being burnt. when she runs around the house rubbing chairs and such then i know ive done something that is really bothering her. good luck.

Last edited:

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I keep Jack's tail pocket hairs trimmed as short as possible making it a better environment to avoid moisture and dirt retention .... Its also easier to keep clean...

A daily cleaning seems to be working as I have had no issues with his tail pocket in the 5 weeks I have had him....

Last edited:

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
What works for me is what my VET told me to do ..........my VET gave me a jug of CHLORHEXIDINE SOLUTION, and told me to clean out Max' tail pocket weekly - I use gauze pads, soak them in the Chlorhexidine solution and wipe out the tail pocket --- it takes a good 4-5 wipes to remove all the dead hair and gunk, than dry it with a clean gauze pad. And VOILA, no more Odor, and no more 'scooting' across the carpet. At first I thought it was Max' anal glands, it wasn't , it was his itchy tail pocket from all the dead hair in there that was bothering him. Get some Chlorhexidine solution from your VET. It has to be re-constituted with water - 2:1.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
What works for me is what my VET told me to do ..........my VET gave me a jug of CHLORHEXIDINE SOLUTION, and told me to clean out Max' tail pocket weekly - I use gauze pads, soak them in the Chlorhexidine solution and wipe out the tail pocket --- it takes a good 4-5 wipes to remove all the dead hair and gunk, than dry it with a clean gauze pad. And VOILA, no more Odor, and no more 'scooting' across the carpet. At first I thought it was Max' anal glands, it wasn't , it was his itchy tail pocket from all the dead hair in there that was bothering him. Get some Chlorhexidine solution from your VET. It has to be re-constituted with water - 2:1.
[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION]..Are you a VET? ..why do you emphasize VET so much?...just curious because I've reread some of your posts and it's almost like you take exception to advice given if NOT from a VET!! There are many VETS who don't have half the experience on bulldogs that a lot of people that post here do..no one is saying NOT to go to their VET..but we can and do learn from each other.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
i clean jamsies several times a day....i keep mass quanities of baby wipes around....

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Babywipes soaked in malecectic octic skin cleanser, or another drying agent. You can top it with powder if you wish but it is not necessary. 2x a day if it is bad and gunky. Once it is under control a wipe once or twice a week is all that should be needed.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Also want to add that cleaning with just wipes will actually cause more yeast and bacteria growth. Also antibiotic ointments will make the area moist. This is just adding fuel to the fire. Strictly use items that dry out the area, like skin/ear cleaners or powder/cornstarch.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online