Worried about Tyson's hair loss

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I've included this pic. His previous family told us that they believed it was stress Idk I worry about mange and other issues. My vet can't see him for a few days but if it's an emergency I can see the back up. Anyone ever seen anything like this?

tysonhair.jpg

tysonhair2.jpg

brcjzl

Jul 7, 2011
Canfield, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Liam, (Bailey RIP 05/22/2011)
That looks a lot like what would happen to Bailey. It started when he was 2 or 3. We tried antibiotics, shampoo, etc without much luck. It seemed like he would have them for a few months, they would go away for a few months, then return. About 6 months prior to Bailey's passing, the vet placed him on a low dose thyroid pill and the hair loss spots cleared up and never returned.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Does not look like mange from here.... are they flaky or rough?

golfrmom64

Oct 26, 2010
Easley, SC
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzie, Abbie & Georgia
Good Afternoon,
This looks like the same thing that happened to my Abbie. It is caused by stress - sudden change environment - food - new animal or family. It is call the 'Red Mange' (not sure of the technical term) but it is not contagious to other animals. We had to give Abbie antibotics for two weeks and dip her in a medicated mixture from the vet. We ended up having to do this 3 times (every two weeks). You will need to take Tyson to the vet and have them to do a scrapping and look under the microscope to see if it is. This mange is little mites and if goes untreated - can get into the blood stream. I hope that is not the case and I hope I am wrong. Good Luck!!!!!!:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
a little dandruff in a few of them but mostly normal skin underneath.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm thinking it is staph infection.... but you could start him on fish oil... 1200mg 2x a day. That really helped Nitschke get his hair back after his bout with it. The vet will give you a strong antibiotic, if it is staph. And, of course, your food change will help too.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Looks like mange to me. When Vegas had mange...it started as one little spot. As though bleach was dropped on him. Mange can start up with any sort of stress and/or weakened immune system. I don't think it's an emergency...but as soon as the dr can see him.

Here is a photo of what it looked like.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Poor thing. This is just so frustrating for me. He has yellow mucus in both his eyes which the family said he has had for a while They gave me antibiotic ointment. I texted and asked them when and how often to use it. They said we didn't really notice it did anything so we didnt really use it. His nails are so long his toes lay to the side, He just puked. He is losing hair his face seems itchy and he is overweight .

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He obviously has not been taken care of very well. While at the vet get an allergy test (full bllod screen) done it may answer a lot of the questions about his skin and eye goo. when Nitschke/Banks allergies (grass, weed, mold) kicks in... they get yellow/green goo in their eyes.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Poor thing! I'm sure the food change and the love will help!! Congrats on your new family member!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
The itchiness might go away after you change his food, but wait a few days so he has more time to settle in. The bald spots may be due to stress too. Poor guy. When you go to the vet, you'll get more answers. Hang in there.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Poor thing. This is just so frustrating for me. He has yellow mucus in both his eyes which the family said he has had for a while They gave me antibiotic ointment. I texted and asked them when and how often to use it. They said we didn't really notice it did anything so we didnt really use it. His nails are so long his toes lay to the side, He just puked. He is losing hair his face seems itchy and he is overweight .

If you have problems with the food change and he's acting like he's always hungry, try giving him some Vegas stew. It works as a great filler. Vegas lost about 11 pounds on it.

Dexter21

Nov 17, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
What food and antibiotic helped Tyson? Im curious because my bulldog has the same thing and the pics look exactly like his spots. I tried everything please help...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online