Update on Gator's Eye Issue

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
We went to the ophthalmologist last week and he did not take out the staples. However, he did say that the ulcer has healed. He wanted to leave the staples to give the eye time to completely heal before removing them. He believes we can manage his allergies and his entropian with eye ointment and drops for a while and once he is full grown (about a year and a half or so), he is hopeful that surgery will not be needed. So, we stopped the three drops 3X a day and now are doing just an ointment twice a day in both eyes for the conjunctivitis. We go in next Thursday to get the staples removed. I bet he will be glad! He doesn't really wear the cone as he doesn't bother with the eye at all. He seems to be feeling better with more energy and playfulness. I am just sorry his birthday pictures with be with those staples :(.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Glad to hear he is headed in the right direction! And..let's be honest...with a face as wonderful as sweet Gator has..nobody will notice a few staples!! Jake says :sup: ....:hug:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
That's alright, it's a memory that you'll never forget. Glad he's doing so much better. And I'm very impressed that your vet isn't pushing surgery. Kudos to him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great news about your handsome man! BTW - when is his b-day?

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks guys :). [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION], none of the vets we have seen have been quick to jump to anything drastic or I would probably find new vets. lol. He thinks that it is mild enough that when his head reaches it's full potential, it will have corrected itself. I am not sure about the one eye but I bet that is the case with the other. He also said that bulldogs and the Ohio River Valley are not a good mix. lol. Seasonal and environmental allergies are really really bad here and even people who don't think they have allergies have issues here.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
This must be so distressing for you but at least he's on the mend. You can always get some cool subglasses or "doggles" for pics.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Glad he might not need the surgery after all! Hope the news keeps being good.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
His birthday is September 23rd :). He will be one year! Time just flies....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It does fly by.... Banks will be 6 tomorrow and I swear I remember getting her yesterday:D

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh im so glad about gator. i was wondering about him and u? we have the same problem here with mountains all around and the air just kinda sits here and dont go no where so allergies here can get bad. well :hug: to you and gator.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
This must be so distressing for you but at least he's on the mend. You can always get some cool sunglasses or "doggles" for pics. "As is" is good for me.

4caff1b1-f486-c503.jpg

Last edited:

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
fantastic.. Duke had horrible entropian in both eyes so that is fantastic no surgery needed!!! yay for Gator and you !! :yes:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So glad he is doing better and hope he has a great b-day. The staples will not even be noticeable in the pics because we will be looking at that handsome face of his.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online