Leg popping and slight limp...

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
Roxi suddenly started limping around 9 p.m. last night. She had been in a different room with my boyfriend and the two labs. At times they can get rough but I quickly stop them from being too rough as soon as it gets carried away. I noticed a little bit later that I hear a popping or cracking sound every time she takes a step.

Have any of you experienced this?

We have had issues before with a stress fracture in her right front paw (Jan/Feb 2011) and she has been doing fine since then.
No limping or anything until last night. I made a point to carry her down the stairs this morning to go potty and I will carry her back up them tonight to go to bed. I am also limiting her activity with the other dogs and trying to keep her off the tile and wood floors.

She will let me mess with her legs and doesn't seem to be in pain other than the limping.

Should I give it a few more days to see if it goes away or take her to the vet now?
:cry:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Give her a couple of days and continue to keep her limited with the stairs and non-carpeted floors. She may have pulled something, but if she is still limping come Wednesday -- call the vet.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
No experience here - thankfully - just hoping everything's ok with Roxi. I'm kind of an alarmist. My friend that runs Cascade Bulldog Rescue & Rehome laughs at me because at the slightest whimper, we're in the truck, going to the vet. She thinks I'm way too vigilent about these dogs. Case in point: one morning, Bea is shivering at my feet. Intermitantly and clearly not in any pain or anything. Eating, drinking, pooping fine. Of course it's a holiday - this was July 4th - so I find an emergency vet and off we go. $350 bucks later and every blood panel known to dogdom and the vet says: "She looks ok to me." All tests were OK. Flash back to the weekend and Cindy - my friend - and I are sitting in the CBRR booth at Pet Expo and the vet booth across the way comes over to say "hello" as this was the place that saw Bea on the 4th. Cindy looks at me and just rolls her eyes and laughed. Part of the reason for joining this board was to avail myself of everyone's wisdom here instead of rushing off to the vets everytime. THANKS FOR BEING HERE FOLKS! As for Roxi - I will watch this thread with interest. I cannot imagine what happened or worse, what can be done. Are there Chiropractors for dogs? I met a dog massage therapist at a fund-raising walk last summer.....
Maybe there's chiropractors in your area?

Last edited:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Well, I have never heard weird noises but I have dealt with limping. I would think that popping and cracking is something that should be checked out. A limp is something you can wait on a few days if they are putting weight on it.

brcjzl

Jul 7, 2011
Canfield, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Liam, (Bailey RIP 05/22/2011)
I experienced this with Bailey when he was around 2. I took him to the vet and he said it was the knee joint slipping out of place slightly. At the time, he said it didn't appear serious and to just monitor it as it might go away on it's own. It did resolve itself after a couple months and he never had the problem again.

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tanks hind leg has done this and it sounded like a popping/cracking also. we went to the first vet we had and they said he tore his acl the second one (our current one cause I didn't like the last one) said that he stretched his acl and put him on anti-inflammatories and pain pills and put him on bed rest for 2 weeks and he has been fine since then.

hope that your bully feels better and that its nothing serious

OP
RoxiBear

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
Thank you everyone! Roxi seems to be doing much better! No more limping and every now and then I will hear a popping sound. I actually sounds like her nails are clicking together...like when she picks her paw up her nails click together. Weird. She goes in a few weeks for her yearly check up so if we are still experiencing issues we will address it then. Hopefully not though! Again thank you all for your advice and checking in on Rox!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.