Small bumps, scabs, hair loss

paperweight

Sep 19, 2011
Hi all,

First post on here and I promise to get some pictures of miss sophie aka "paperweight". Anyway I got on here because she has tons of little bumps all over her body and around legs, very few on her head, they seem to stop at her neck. To sum up when we noticed this:
August 5th, returned from vacation she was 4 months old, we left her with our aunt figuring she will get better attention then over at a kennel, which she did! When we got her home we were playing and noticed some fleas and ticks! so gave her a flea bath and put some advantix k-9 on her, fleas gone and about a week later started noticing bumps on her. SO watched it for a few days and seemed to get worse by the day, took her to vet, he thought it may be bites from fleas and gave us antibiotic and seteroid to help with itching, after about 14 days of meds tappering down she seemed to get better. I then rembered he said we could put more flea treatment on her so I put more on(not realizing vet had given my g/f frontline for her). About a week later they started to seem like they are coming back. and it has now been 2 weeks and still there. I contacted vet and explained the relation to the first and second time, so we are thinking it may be the k-9 advantix doing it. But sadly have to wait a few more weeks to see if it clears up. I have been giving her oatmeal baths every couple of days. I guess a few questions for everyone here that reads this:
-Has anyone experianced problems with the topical flea treatments like k-9 advantix?
-any thing else I can do to help her get through this? (I feel helpless, but she itches some and bites at rear quarter when she has done yoga and can reach it so not bad but I'm sure she could be happier)
-what type of tests should we be considering? docotor says he has ruled out mange.
-I have been using a flea comb to help get the loose scabs off her and help get loose hair off, should I stop or is this ok?

View attachment 12020 after hurricane irene... she knows she's in trouble (does anyone else have a bull that loves mud?, or maby it's helping sooth her skin?)
Thanks to anyone who reads and gives feedback, my first bull and love her to death but really do feel helpless about this issue.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OUCH.... poor little girl! Does sounds like a bad reaction to the advantix. That is what we use and never had any issues. It could also be something in her food.... have your vet run a full screen blood allergy test... it will cost about 150.00 but sooooooooooooo worth it. My boy, Nitschke went through hell in a hand basket for six months till we had the allergy test and identified RICE as the problem.

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank has those also and we were told by the vet its due to food allergies so we switched foods and opted out of the allergy testing big mistake! 3 weeks ago or so we took him back in and ended up getting it done cause he was itching like crazy and all. then we recently took him back to make sure he was healthy before switching foods again which was when we found out he does indeed have a grain allergy. At first we also thought it was the fleas or flea med and even switched flea med and shampoos because when we noticed it starting was when i was on vacation with him and the first time he ever got fleas. I would suggest looking into food allergies.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Well, I third the food suggestions. It probably seemed to get better due to the fact that you were treating the symptoms. However, I also had issues with Advantix. But, the only thing that happened with use is that it turned the skin and fur black at the application site. Nothing like you are describing.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Welcome to the forum! I have heard of the topical flea treatments causing problems..and I agree with the advice before.I would do an allergy test and I think a skin scraping is needed. Both could save you and your girl a lot of headaches down the road!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Sarah had these little bumps on her front leg a few months ago. bout 15 of them on one leg. she didnt have any hair loss though but the bumps seemed small and kinda scabby. I have no idea what they were but they seemed to get better when i bathed her in an antifungal/antibacterial shampoo. you can get it from the vet or i ordered it online from enitrelypets and its called chloraseb shampoo. its chlorhexidine 2% and ketoconazole 1%. i also changed food to as she was having some other issues with it in addition to the bumps. she is now bump free. i so hope miss sophie gets better soon.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
That muddy puppy pic of Paperweight is Priceless! :luv:I think others have given you great advice on trying to figure out what caused the reaction to begin with.

OP
P

paperweight

Sep 19, 2011
Gonna be taking her to vet on october 18th for spaying, soooo gonna have allergy test and skin test done then. But interesting info from mommy and daddies parents.... Daddy is allergic to wheat and had the same thing happening! Doing some research apparently wheat allerigies and I'm sure other allergies will cause gas, head shaking, itchy butt (which she has been signaling to me!) so hopefully we will have some minor annoyances especially gas solved, but have to admit it is extremely funny when she's audible and scares herself. So gonna check foods and make sure she isn't getting wheat and see what happens until the 18th. Thanks again for input and I will keep people on here posted.

Thanks,
Joe & miss sophie

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i was using frontline but on the 3rd dose annie had a severe reaction i took her to the vet and he advised not to use it again which id alredy made my mind up on that one,it took 4 weeks for the swellings and redness to go,i now give her 1 garlic clove a day and have not seen a flea,but then we dont have a massive flea problem here and as annie isnt allowed on grass that helps,pesticides can be prety harsh on the dogs i know but if you have a problem with fleas what else can you do,the garlic does take some time to build up in the blood stream which is a draw back,karen

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
If everyone is changing the food ..........what food are you changing to ??????? No one is mentioning what food they were on and what food they switched to !

OP
P

paperweight

Sep 19, 2011
sorry for delayed response lots of stuff happening. Anyway so Miss sophie was allergic to wheat, or gluetin. We found out her dad was switched her food and any treats and within 1 week she was a happy puppy again. We are feeding her AvoDerm which we get from Petsmart. Altho she would rather eat chicken and anything else we are eating everyday. She is at a beautifuly large 56 pounds at 8 months old! joes phone 12-08-2011 198.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.