Food issues (Again)????

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank is 11 months old and was on iams from 10 weeks old to about 2 to 2 1/2 months ago when we switched him to natural balance lamb and rice. When on iams puppy he constantly had rashes and seemed to be worse when and after he ate and he also got a yeast infection of the skin and ears. he had normal bowels though. Since we switched to natural balance he hasnt had infections, no more rashes but he still is not having normal bowel movements and is back to having accidents espicially at nights. he dont have diarrhea but just soft bowels. He has also lost 2 lbs since being on the new food (i know its not much but i thought puppys werent supposed to lose weight..) I have taken him to the vet and he checks out healthy other than weight loss and non normal bowels. no parasites, infections or anything. that was a few weeks ago. should we switch the food again? and if so what suggestions do you have for a bully with food allergies? the vet says he has a grain allergy. Tank is our first dog so all of this is completely new to us before getting him we did research the breed for several years but are still learning with him being our first. Also i dont know if its food related but all of a sudden the past couple weeks tanks behavior has been awful. hes not wanting to listen to us at all. we havent changed any thing regarding training or anything. is this normal for his age and what can we do to get him back in shape behavior wise?

VoicesInMyHead

Jul 15, 2011
Phx, Az
Bulldog(s) Names
Arwen Undomiel
I think food choice is one of the most important issues to lock down for any dog... unfortunately, it's also one with the most variables.

I ended up using Fromm's Surf & Turf grain free food. Fromm also has a Beef grain free, but Arwen got hives from it. So, it's not just the gain issue, but also the protein sources that can cause reactions.

What I did was find a small high end food store in my area, and got some samples and some small bags of food to try. I love the local store I found, the owners call out Arwen's name as soon as we open the door - they love dogs (and last time we were in, she even laid on the floor to give Arwen some love!), and focus on what is best for them - they won't even carry dog food that is not good for your dog.

Take a look at the dog food rating here on the site (under the Articles tab at the top of the page) - it's a great place to start. Just remember you may go through a few foods until you nail down the one that is not only good for your Bully, but also relieves most, if not all, of his issues.

Good luck! :D

Last edited:

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Since joing this Forum, I have heard nothing but praise for FROMM's Surf & Turf.

I just received me first bag in the mail ( [MENTION=3228]Petflow[/MENTION] $59. delivered) and will be starting Jack on it in 2 weeks.. (He's currently on a bland diet the vet gave me due to his surgery a cuple of days ago..)

TrickDogTrainer

Aug 23, 2011
Titusville, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Riddick
Hi there! I'm a dog trainer & nutritionist. As for the food question, Natural Balance is a great food when it comes to allergies so what I would do is keep him on that brand but switch him to one of their Limited Ingredient Formulas that is Grain Free. They have several very palatable flavors & you will want to go with a meat source that he hasn't had alot of contact with. Their Fish & Sweet Potato or Venison & Sweet Potato would be ideal choices for bullies. Also, in regards to the behavioral issues- this is completely common for almost all dogs. I call it 'The Teenage Years'! It is a period of regression as well as a hormonal change in the body where new behaviors start occuring such as selective hearing, displays of dominance, heightened since of prey drive, protectiveness, etc. I always make sure I have my fur kids involved in training classes & some kind of fun dog sport around this time & you will get through this phase a lot easier. I hope this helps!

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
we were wondering if the behavior was his age cause hes just not listening, trys to hump new people that come in the house etc. he reminds me of a toddler goin through the terrible 2's (minus the humping lol) right now. we are constantly having to get on to him for things we know he knows. he was in a behavioral class when we got him because the breeders child tortured the pups (we didnt know this till contract was signed) he would go around kicking them hitting them etc. so when we got Tank he was deathly afraid of my 7 year old and when my son got to close hed bite. class helped tremendously there and took care of the aggression quite quickly and now he favors my 7 year old and is more protective of him than the other 2. we were told it was caused by fear and most likely he wasnt ok with my 7 year old because he was the same size of the breeders kid. (tank was fine with my other 2 kids). He goes to a park quite frequently that always has a ton of other dogs there. we go there for socialization. he loves to play with other dogs his size or smaller but fears the big dogs. hes just a big baby. I will try a different type of natural balance and see if that helps. i have to buy him food today anyhow.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
A lot of members here say great things about Natural Balance. And since you've already started Tank on it, I'd stick with the same brand but different protein and go grain free. Going chicken free would be ideal too.

If I can recall, you can change cold turkey if you stick with this brand and not have to do a slow transition. Members here should verify this though when they post their response.

Gluck in finding the right food, I know how frustrating it can be sometimes. :) But don't worry, once you find the best one for Tank, you'll forget about the bad times and enjoy the good!

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
i went ahead and stuck with natural balance when i bought his food today but went with natural balance limited ingredient/grain free it only has 2 ingredients then just vitamins and nutrients so hope this works!

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
thanks for all the advice!! being new at the puppy thing makes things hard. you think you got it figured out and then wham you dont lol. hes just like raising another child but so worth it!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
We use the Bison/Sweet Potato formula. Our local EB rescue recommends it also.

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Brooklyn eats the natural balance alpha: trout salmon and whitefish which is not limited ingredient but is grain free.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
we started tank on the limited ingredient/grain free Saturday morning and its now Tuesday. within this short period his bowels are already almost normal and his skin isn't as red anymore its now more of a pink. we also noticed that this morning that he was very rambunctious which is very exciting cause he is very very lazy and hasn't actually played like today for a very long time. we have always said he acts more like a old dog than a pup. so hopefully this is all good signs that the new diet is what he needed!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's good news, food does make a difference, and sounds like you have a him on a good food that agrees with him.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.