Anyone have problem of disorientation?

Scottsdalekev

Jul 2, 2011
Hello. My normally healthy 4 yr old male bully Maximus is having some issues since last night.. yesterday he went to doggie day care at PetSmart... goes every Wednesday... but, last night he seemed a bit disoriented... he would take two steps forward... stare...then backup like he was scared or didn't know where he was. This has continued today... he is eating treats but very slow and deliberate.. he seems scared of his crate also. I first thought he saw something... and was scared... like an intruder... so, freaked me out. But, afterwards, he seems very lost... he's normally pretty sensitive to things like vacuum cleaners, or computer chargers... he's a bit leary of new things... but, everything is the same.. so, i can't figure this one out... could it be something that happened at doggie day care? Maybe a dog scared him? There was a boxer in there that causes some trouble.. or could it be his eyes? If anyone has any ideas or if this has happened to there bully i'd appreciate any thoughts... again, just happened last night and into0 today... so, not sure if i should take him to the vet or if this is temporary... thanks!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Does he act like he knows you? Seems very strange, I would call the vet to see what they say or maybe take him to them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Did you call the day care to ask if anything happen? Could he have been 'run over by a larger dog (accident , of course) but he could have banged his head. I know bulldog head getting hurt... hard to believe, but it is possible. I work p/t at a doggie daycare and we give daily report cards or call the parents if something happens or we see an issue they should know about. One thing I've seen happen is the dogs especially those that are obsessive (never a bulldog).. will not take a break from play to even drink so we would have to watch certain dogs to give them a forced time-out to catch their breath and drink some water.

Either way.... I'd be at the vet already.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
While on a walk with Mack I noticed he would stop and look disoriented and have a blank stare; I didn't think much about it until it happened again, while we were on a walk. I took him to the vet and his heart beat was irregular. We got him up to WSU Hospital of Vet. Medicine for a work-up and he is on medication that regulates his heartbeat. He had just turned 7. I'd take Maximus to the vet.

OP
S

Scottsdalekev

Jul 2, 2011
Thanks for the reply. Max is doing better this afternoon but still a bit foggy. He knows me, knows his name when called, is eating and can shake hands, sit, all on command. So, if he was completely out of it, he'd certainly be at the ER... but i did call my vet and he wants to run tests tomorrow. I'll give an update as to what they say so maybe it can help others with the same occurrence.

OP
S

Scottsdalekev

Jul 2, 2011
Took Maximus to the vet last week and he has an ear infection. That explains the equilibrium being off... he's on medication now and feeling much better. 10 drops to each ear which is almost impossible with Max! Thanks for all the replies. Maybe this can help someone else with the same problem.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Ear infection! Thank goodness. That makes complete sense too. When I've had an ear infection, I've felt the same way.

And BIG thanks for posting the outcome, Scottsdalekev. I'm my dog's hypochondriac so I MUST know the found solution on these things! :D

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Whew! At least it was an easy fix. Glad you figured it out and, I too, am glad you posted the outcome.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Glad to hear that's all it was and he's getting better.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.