What could be wrong with his eye?

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
While I was wrestling with Roscoe to put his creme on the cysts between his toes, I noticed a large brown spot in the white of his left eye. Anyone know what it could be? I've never noticed it before.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I cannot think of anything, but hopefully someone will know more about it.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Poor Roscoe! I hope there is nothing serious wrong... Please let us know what you find out.

OP
kayrahbear

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Just got in from the vet. He's worried that its pigmentary keratitis and made Roscoe an appointment with an Ophthalmologist for Friday. Naturally, I'm a very worried momma. This vet says his cornea is slightly cloudy and that the pigmentary keratitis can cause him to loose his eyesight in the eye if it's not treated properly. :eek:
Do any of you bully parents have experience with this problem?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Sorry to hear that. I hope it isn't as bad as the suspicion.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Just got in from the vet. He's worried that its pigmentary keratitis and made Roscoe an appointment with an Ophthalmologist for Friday. Naturally, I'm a very worried momma. This vet says his cornea is slightly cloudy and that the pigmentary keratitis can cause him to loose his eyesight in the eye if it's not treated properly. :eek:
Do any of you bully parents have experience with this problem?

How did you make out at the ophthalmologist Friday?? We were there this week also ( different thread) , different problem then your little man.. Hope all went well! please update us.. :luv:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Just checking in to see if there`s any updates. Hoping that all is good.

OP
kayrahbear

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Sorry I haven't updated. On top of our vet appointment Friday Roscoe and I were moving into our new apartment. I never realized how much stuff I didn't have. haha.
The ophthalmologist said it is pigmentary keratitis. It's caused by a deposit of melanin (sp?) in the . Apparently it's pretty common in short nosed breeds who's eyes can have trouble dislodging debris. There's no cure for it but we're going to be using eye drops twice a day in the hopes of stopping the pigment from spreading into his pupil and causing him to loose vision. If the drops are unsuccessful they can do a surgery that would essentially be scraping the top layer of the eye to try and remove the pigment.
I'm hoping the medicine will help and we won't have to go the surgery route. I don't like the idea of eye surgery. Please keep Roscoe in your thoughts, he's not a fan of the eyedrops at all.

To end on a lighter note, this is apparently how he's hiding from the drops. :lmao:
Photo on 2011-09-19 at 15.51.jpg

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Thank you for the update. Poor Roscoe! Hope he can get used to the eye drops. They are no fun!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.