What is a good food for a bulldog puppy????

mersc726

Sep 10, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jud
So I have had my bulldog puppy for 2 weeks now. I am wanting to feed him the best food that I can afford. What is the best food to feed that i can purchase at PetSmart?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Check out the Blue Buffalo brand.

They have a puppy formula that is good. It's not grain free though. Blue Buffalo has the Wilderness line that is grain-free and, in my opinion, is Blue Buffalo's best line of food. It says it on the BB website FAQ that it is not recommended for puppies, but researching the nutritional info on the wilderness, I don't see anything that would not be appropriate for a puppy. So, yeah, if I had a puppy, I would be okay with going straight to Blue Wilderness at the onset and all the way throughout the life of the dog. But, I know some people are not comfortable with this...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If you are going dry kibble... Blue Buffalo grain-free (most bullies have some grain allergy) is the way to go

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I was going to say Blue Buffalo too. My mom's boy is having issues with his Natual Balance so I pointed her to the BB today. How old is your puppy? I would say under 6 months, I would stick to the BB puppy and then move to wilderness.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
So I have had my bulldog puppy for 2 weeks now. I am wanting to feed him the best food that I can afford. What is the best food to feed that i can purchase at PetSmart?

Hello,

Welcome and congrats on your bullie. You will get lots of opinions from all of us here. Keep in mind that each of us has our own opinion and not all situations are the same for all bullies. So here is my reply:

We currently have 6 Bullies ranging from 6 months to 5.5 years old. We have males and females and we are a breeder.
So, we start off the puppies after weened on Royal Canine starter food: MEDIUM Starter | Royal Canin
Then we switch to the the next type:MINI Special 30 Dog Food | Royal Canin This one does have chicken/chicken meal so watch for results
At 6 months we switch over to Canidae, Grain Free, Natural Holistic, "Pure Land" Bison/Lamb (NO chicken or chicken meal), and single carb potato. CANIDAE® Natural, Holistic Dog Food - CANIDAE Grain Free Pure Land™ more info

We have had very good success with this program and we recommend to our clients.
But certainly swtich to a premium brand food. Less to feed, less volume of food to serve, less poop, better health. There is a great list located on this site that ranks the brands based on user responses.

Good Day~

OP
mersc726

mersc726

Sep 10, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jud
Thank you very much for your advise.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I can absolutely chime in with what IS NOT a good food for EBs: Origen. It's a good, wonderful food --- just too too rich for the bullie digestive system. Mine get Dick VanPatten's Bison / Sweet Potato combo and that works great for Bea. Firm, hard poops. Bo on the other hand may need something different. I'd like to keep them on the same food out of convenience. My laundry room can only accommodate one giant bag of food at a time. Since our vacation - and him swallowing a 4 inch hunk of a braid of bullystick that I've yet to see come out the other end - he's had loose stools. Everything else about him is normal and seemingly healthy - except this case of "the poops" which gets slightly better and then gets loose again. How long does it take for something to pass through a dog anyway? I figured I'd see that thing a few days afterward - but so far, I haven't and I don't think I could have missed it.

My new rule: no more bullysticks.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Another majo consideration that goes along with feeding, is what kind of treats.

And ...."My new rule: no more bullysticks" is sound advice for everyone.

Good Day~

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Good news: Bo's digestive system returned to normal yesterday. All is well in Gotham, Batman. Whew.

Absolutely! [MENTION=1869]ABEBD[/MENTION] :-)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.