Samson scared me this past Friday night!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Poor Samson. So glad it wasn't worse.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Ooo my sweet boy I think he needs to come stay w me for a while :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hmmm... now I may be unpopular for saying this... but as a trainer I get to work with a LOT of arthritic patients - and they have arthritus for a whole range of reasons including hereditary all the way to past injuries. The LAST thing I get them to do is to just stop doing all forms of exercise. If Samson was a human I would be telling him to increase the strength in all of those muscles around that joint and to keep as much flexibility as possible in that joint.

So maybe consider keeping Samson from all of these activities such as stairs and jumping off the bed until you know that sprain has totally healed. After that maybe allow him to use the stairs ... keep that leg strength there and if he so loves sleeping with you then why deprive him of that. You can get steps for him to use .. that way he's still with you but you know he's getting up and down the safest way possible.

Just a thought .......... also as you know Maggie broke her front leg at a very young age and although there is no strong signs yet the vet has said there is definitely going to be arthritus at some stage, and her two back legs have loose knee joints. The vet described the supplement Nutramax Dasuquin with MSM. I found it on Amazon for cheaper than the vet was trying to sell it for, and on Amazon it has good ratings. We figured .... nothing to lose by giving it a try!!

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
aw im so glad hes better and its not serious. sarah had acl surgery when we first got her for a torn acl the first owner just left her with for who knows how long. i also lift sarah on and off the bed and there has been a few times she has jumped off and scared the p outa me. big hugs from me and sarah. our bullys can scare us and yes most of my stuff with sarah is when its evening or weekend and my vet is closed. do you give him some fish oil? well not now when hes getting the anti inflammatory but after hes done with it. sarahs limp and overall movement is much better with the fish oil i spray on her food every night. just a thought.

Poor Sarah, how sad that they never got her all fixed up :( At least she is with you and doing better now :) He does get salmon oil on his food everyday, I have always given it to him to help with his allergy and skin issues.

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Hmmm... now I may be unpopular for saying this... but as a trainer I get to work with a LOT of arthritic patients - and they have arthritus for a whole range of reasons including hereditary all the way to past injuries. The LAST thing I get them to do is to just stop doing all forms of exercise. If Samson was a human I would be telling him to increase the strength in all of those muscles around that joint and to keep as much flexibility as possible in that joint.

So maybe consider keeping Samson from all of these activities such as stairs and jumping off the bed until you know that sprain has totally healed. After that maybe allow him to use the stairs ... keep that leg strength there and if he so loves sleeping with you then why deprive him of that. You can get steps for him to use .. that way he's still with you but you know he's getting up and down the safest way possible.

Just a thought .......... also as you know Maggie broke her front leg at a very young age and although there is no strong signs yet the vet has said there is definitely going to be arthritus at some stage, and her two back legs have loose knee joints. The vet described the supplement Nutramax Dasuquin with MSM. I found it on Amazon for cheaper than the vet was trying to sell it for, and on Amazon it has good ratings. We figured .... nothing to lose by giving it a try!!

You make an excellent point about building the muscle! I should make sure to walk him on a more consistent basis! I don't want him to stop getting exercise all together I just feel like I should limit certain types of activity. It's going down the stairs, not up, that I worry about more than anything, all that weight/pressure on his front leg, seems like it would cause problems. I feel like I have read something advising against bullys using stairs too much but I don't know where so I may not be correct on that. And with the bed I just felt like if he could hurt himself just jumping off our couch then he certainly would our bed because it's much higher but I don't have stairs for him so I should try that before banning him from sleeping with us. I know he loves to sleep with us and I do prefer it that way as well, it's like I don't sleep well with him in bed because I find myself in the most awkward positions to accomdate him yet when he's not there I don't feel like I sleep well because I just feel like somethings missing. He's slept with me since the day I brought him home 5 years ago so it's weird for him not to be there. I do have him on a hip and joint supplement, I'm trying to find another one because he seems to not do well with one/some of the ingredients in it. I will check out the one you suggested. Too bad I don't have a pool, isn't swimming one of the best exercises for those suffering with arthritis? I could get him a lifejacket and make him do daily laps, oh that would be so cute :)

How old it Maggie? Samson is 5.5 years old and I think I remember Maggie being older. Hopefully her arthritis doesn't start as young as Sam's has! I'm glad it doesn't seem to be bothering her yet!

Ooo my sweet boy I think he needs to come stay w me for a while :)

Only if you send Lex first :)

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
You make an excellent point about building the muscle! I should make sure to walk him on a more consistent basis! I don't want him to stop getting exercise all together I just feel like I should limit certain types of activity. It's going down the stairs, not up, that I worry about more than anything, all that weight/pressure on his front leg, seems like it would cause problems. I feel like I have read something advising against bullys using stairs too much but I don't know where so I may not be correct on that. And with the bed I just felt like if he could hurt himself just jumping off our couch then he certainly would our bed because it's much higher but I don't have stairs for him so I should try that before banning him from sleeping with us. I know he loves to sleep with us and I do prefer it that way as well, it's like I don't sleep well with him in bed because I find myself in the most awkward positions to accomdate him yet when he's not there I don't feel like I sleep well because I just feel like somethings missing. He's slept with me since the day I brought him home 5 years ago so it's weird for him not to be there. I do have him on a hip and joint supplement, I'm trying to find another one because he seems to not do well with one/some of the ingredients in it. I will check out the one you suggested. Too bad I don't have a pool, isn't swimming one of the best exercises for those suffering with arthritis? I could get him a lifejacket and make him do daily laps, oh that would be so cute :)

How old it Maggie? Samson is 5.5 years old and I think I remember Maggie being older. Hopefully her arthritis doesn't start as young as Sam's has! I'm glad it doesn't seem to be bothering her yet!

Only if you send Lex first :)

Ummmmmm I'll send ya Bo!!! Lmao

Also massage is another way to help move muscles and keep them built up as well... Did u know if u go on a regular basis u will also loose inches and tighten skin up.

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Did u know if u go on a regular basis u will also loose inches and tighten skin up.

You mean you as a human as well. Are you saying if I go get a massage on a regular basis it will help me loose inches and tighten up????? What a fabulous excuse to start getting massages regularly!!!!!!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
You mean you as a human as well. Are you saying if I go get a massage on a regular basis it will help me loose inches and tighten up????? What a fabulous excuse to start getting massages regularly!!!!!!

YesIt's amazing I'm a massage therapist I only do it on the side now. I went full time for 3 months and we practiced on each other twice a week , me and 2 girls noticed a huge toning difference at the end of school!!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
I'm not ready for all that energy yet!!! But we will definitely have labs at some point, Dave wants one as soon as we have the room. Actually if Bo can retrieve duck Dave would probably force me to take you up on that now LOL

Wanna meet half way? Lmao I do know he retrieves dove, i dont think he got the full training though cause when the shots are fired he starts running and they are supposed to wait for a command to retrieve. we have never taken him duck hunting but I'm sure he would be great he's a great swimmer and has lots of energy!! 3 yrs ago we had him fixed hoping that would help calm him and he's 4 now, I believe, and is just now starting to settle a bit. I'm ready for some cooler weather so we can run his energy out of him lol.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
That is to cool [MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION] I am a massage therapist as well. Maybe we can give tessandsampson one lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.