Tear Stains

Raiderest

Feb 10, 2010
What is the best home remedy for tear stains on a Bulldog? I've heard of vineagar and baking soda but ama bit hesitant to try it. I was hoping someone might offer some suggestions that they have tried before that worked. Thank you

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Hmmm, vinegar eh? I have tried the "cornstarch + hydrogen pyroxide", and it worked well, but only for a bulldog who did not have allergies. If they have runny eyes all the time there is probably no way to get rid of the staining, which is ok too since almost all bulldogs have tear stains.

For those of you that don't have a problem with this, TELL US YOUR SECRET!!!! :)

Also, clean the wrinkles and face daily with a warm, clean washcloth or baby wipes work good too.

Inside wrinkles I have heard of --and tried ---baby powder. This helps dry it out if you have too much moisture and inflammation. Of course, then you have to clean out the dried up chunks of powder.

Also a new one I have yet to try, recommended by two people, is generic brand acne pads. (only if the wrinkled area is NOT inflamed!!!!)

Another has told me recently to look into "angel eyes", curious if anyone has tried that and if it works?

w00kieluvr

Jan 31, 2010
I have tried "angel eyes" and it doesnt work its more for long hair dogs. I make chamoile tea and when it got warm i would get the tea bags and just placed it on Emmas eyes for about 5 minutes on each eye. It works well for her I used to do it daily but now I just do it every three days.

Frances

Feb 5, 2010
MIAMI, FLLORIDA
Bulldog(s) Names
EMMA
Hi, have a bully named Emma also. Did you ty the angel eyes? I was told t works on bullies, Emma is white and she does have tear stains, wanted
to ty the angel eyes.

Attachments

• fromm-grain-free-prize-pacakge-with-bowl-canvas-bag.jpg
    fromm-grain-free-prize-pacakge-with-bowl-canvas-bag.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 363

Shannak26

Mar 10, 2010
Gulfport, MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Lil White Pig "Lily"
I use Angel Eyes on Lily & she is solid white (with the exception of one ear & her numb) & it totally clears up the stains from drainage. My vet said that it changes the pigment in the tears or something like that. Either way, I love it & reading this post just made me remember I am out! One of the above posts said it doesn't work, so maybe it doesn't work on all dogs, but it sure works on mine. Just have to remember to give them a lil sprinkle with their food every day.

Attachments

• DSC_0203.jpg
    DSC_0203.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 323

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
we do the "cornstarch/hydrogen peroxide" thing and it works..but HAVE to do it everyday. What is Angel Eyes and where do you get it? :confused:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Before you go through extreme measures on getting angel eyes- as that would be the last resort and it is pretty costly, try switching dog food to a grain free, corn free dog food. More expensive food, but they eat less- have less waste- and sometimes even makes those nasty tear stains go away! I am in the process of doing this myself, Jesse has one bad tear staining eye. I should know in a couple of weeks what the results are....

Attachments

• IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 139

luvmybullie

Apr 7, 2010
Sarasota
Bulldog(s) Names
Rowdy
I have used Angel eye's and it did not work maybe I didnā€™t use it long enough but changing food helped Rowdy! He had really bad tear stains and after we change his food it stopped getting worse but of course we still had to get rid of the stain that was still there. I also tried the cornstarch + hydrogen pyroxide and for me it made more of a mess than anything lol so I was told to just use the hydrogen pyroxide on a cotton ball and after a few time it went right away! Rowdy has a problem with eyes watering so his wrinkles always stay moist but not stained anymore!

FatBulldogz

Dec 4, 2011
Richmond, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
UGA and Bella
I tried all of them and nothing worked. My solution was filtered water. They get water from the refrigerator door that has an in line filter. I never realized how well it worked until we left the dogs with my wife's parents when we went to Hawaii, when we got back so were their tear stains because she gave them tap water. Simple solution worked for us hope others can get this lucky.
They also get Benadryl with ever meal which has helped but Bella still licks her paws like crazy!

skimberli

May 30, 2013
Country
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Kimie
My vet told me not to use angel eye, said it dries out there eye's, which will cause more problems. He said vinegar and water.

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Before you go through extreme measures on getting angel eyes- as that would be the last resort and it is pretty costly, try switching dog food to a grain free, corn free dog food. More expensive food, but they eat less- have less waste- and sometimes even makes those nasty tear stains go away! I am in the process of doing this myself, Jesse has one bad tear staining eye. I should know in a couple of weeks what the results are....

i have to agree with [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]. Check what you are feeding your EB. Most tear stains are due to food allergy.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
franklin had really bad tear stains when he was on Fromm beef frittata now he's on Fromm pork & peas and his tear stains are a lot better I think its because of the white potato its not in the pork & peas

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
i have to agree with [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]. Check what you are feeding your EB. Most tear stains are due to food allergy.

Wow that post must have been soooo long ago! :rofl: And yes, food change cleared the tear stains up. :)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online