Do you use a Deodorizing dog spray for your Bullie ?

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I often notice Max has a "doggie" smell to him sometimes, and thought of getting a nice deodorizing doggie spray for him to make him smell good and maybe help his coat.
Does anyone use any such products on their bullies ?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Princess Gracie's 'odor' became hardly noticeable once she was on a good diet and being bathed with Selsun Blue and Oatmeal shampoos.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have to say ,,,ever since we switched to a raw diet... there is no smell/odor from our bullies. Their coat is great and they only need a bath maybe every three months

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Took a while but once I found the right food by doing a slow food change and gave it a few weeks Vegas's odor went completely away. I also use a shampoo from our vet that is anti-fungal/yeast that I bath him every two weeks in. I also give him a big spoonful of yogurt with breakfast this also seems to help. I have seen the spray in pet stores but it is just to mask the problem as to why they stink in the first place, (In my opinion)

mosca72

Jul 15, 2011
New Westminster BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Besito
Took a while but once I found the right food by doing a slow food change and gave it a few weeks Vegas's odor went completely away. I also use a shampoo from our vet that is anti-fungal/yeast that I bath him every two weeks in. I also give him a big spoonful of yogurt with breakfast this also seems to help. I have seen the spray in pet stores but it is just to mask the problem as to why they stink in the first place, (In my opinion)

Yes this is very true. The best thing yo do is to find the right food. We try the spray and just make the smell worse. I do not know what brand of food you are giving him but if you can try Fromm four star formula I bet you will really get the smell problem away and no just that but he will be more healthier.
32627b37-1dae-c6be.jpg

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
With as many allergy and skin problems as you have said it appears Maximus has, if I were you I would be concerned that the chemicals in those types of products would only aggravate the problems not help them.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
With as many allergy and skin problems as you have said it appears Maximus has, if I were you I would be concerned that the chemicals in those types of products would only aggravate the problems not help them.

Actually the products have Aloe Vera, Vitamin E and moisturizers for the skin - I hardly feel they have "CHEMICALS" in them that would aggravate anything !

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I strongly DISAGREE. An allergic prone bulldog needs dye free and SCENT free detergents, and if it is a deodorizing spray I hardly think it would be wise to put it on. I think Maximus needs Allergy TESTING to find out what he is allergic to. Has your VET never recommended allergy testing? I would think after a year of fighting his issues that the VET would have suggested this. Antibiotics, deoderizers, and shots do NOTHING but mask the problem and are a temporary fix! You really need to find the root of the problem.

VoicesInMyHead

Jul 15, 2011
Phx, Az
Bulldog(s) Names
Arwen Undomiel
Actually the products have Aloe Vera, Vitamin E and moisturizers for the skin - I hardly feel they have "CHEMICALS" in them that would aggravate anything !

That being said, even if the product is all natural and has no chemicals, whatever you use is just going to mask the symptoms from a problem that is not being addressed. Which is fine for a short term odor solution, until you can track down what is causing the issue.

If your Bully is not picking up external source odors, then it could be a few issues:
  • His system expelling internal byproducts from a food source
  • His skin/wrinkles may have some common developing issues
  • There's an unknown health issue his system is trying to deal with
I think a first step would be to make sure his skin is healthy. Go over all of it, especially wrinkles and intermittent wrinkles (wrinkles that only appear in certain positions).

If you're good to go there, then I might consider changing his food. I know this has reduced or relieved many dogs (not just Bullys) odor issues, and made a healthier pet on many fronts. (including my bully, and past pugs - food is an important puzzle piece in any dogs health)

Lastly, maybe next vet visit mention this problem, and have your vet double check all of his skin, as well discuss any possible internal issues, that may express themselves in an odor coming from your Bully. I know that allergies (food, drug, and environmental) could be an issue, and might justify an allergy test.

Anyway, good luck! :D

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I would change vets too. After a year, I would think there should've been some improvements. Poor Maximus.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Ooops. Perhaps I wasn't clear in my posting! My post wasn't indicating that Maximus has an ODOR. He doesn't. I merely wanted to use the 'deodorizing' spray to make him smell fresh between baths. He doesn't have a skin or odor problem. THAT was cleared up with the 30-days of Antibiotics he was on for his Pyoderma and Dermatitis.

His diet was just changed, so I'm not going to change it again - he is currently on NATURE'S VARIETY INSTINCT LID Lamb Meal.

Sorry for the confusion!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.