HELP! The BENADRYL and ZYRTEC Don't work ... !

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I've had Maximus on both ZYRTEC an BENADRYL for his allergies, and there is no improvement. I tried the ZYRTEC and the VET recommended the BENADRYL. Neither are effective.
Does anyone know of anything else I can try that may help ?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How much are you giving him? My guys weight 60lbs and get 100mg per day

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Have you considered getting allergy testing done or have you done that already?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
How long ago did you switch food last time?...... it can take several weeks for the old food to get out of their system before you see the progress with the new food.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Have you considered getting allergy testing done or have you done that already?

I was going to ask this as well and also how much are you giving.. our dermatologist for Duke told us it is TWICE the adult ( human dose) Duke is aprox 60 pounds and we give two tablets every 24 hours as needed. but also had him tested..one of his biggest allergens was wool, once we got rid of the wool blankets etc he has major improvements.. Hang in there.. allergies are no fun.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Also, to add what everyone else is suggesting--once you get the correct dosage you also want to give it daily so you can keep it in his system. Giving it only when he needs it won't help. I made that mistake early on with Lucy. You may already be doing this but it is worth mentioning.

With that being said--Lucy also got little relief on Benedryl and Zyrtec given daily for an extended period of time. We had her allergy tested and was able to eliminate things in the enviroment that trigger her allergies. Also, we wipe her feet, belly and back every night before bed. She is also on 60 mg of hydroxyzine(prescription) twice a day and we are seeing wonderful results from that. She is a different dog from this summer compared to last summer.

The real trick is determining if it is food, enviroment or both. Once you figure that out you can start to eliminate the allergens that are the culprit and you will have a much more comfortable pup. (I know this sounds easy--its not--I've been there too)

As Babyduke said--I'll say again--allergies are no fun. Actually they stink!

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
The Benadryl - he gets only 1-tab (25mg) as per the VET ---- and The Zyrtec - he also gets 1-tab (10mg) per day since it is one per day per the instructions.
Maximus weights 67-lbs.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok im going to try a different route with this. ive had sarah on massive amounts of zyrtec and benadryl for the past 2 weeks. im talking 2 zyrtec am and 2 benadryl in the pm sometimes more just to control her allergies. i had 2 air cleaners from sears that did nothing really but i just ordered 2 from air purifiers america i think is the name. now there not cheap and ive only had them like one day but ive only had to give sarah 1/2 zyrtec today, thats it. i can also tell a difference in the air in my home. i have one for the living room and one in the kitchen next to it. i should probably wait to comment until ive had them a bit longer but oh well. not the normal route that everyone recommends but just throwing it out there.

also dont forget to have anal glands cleaned out regularly. sarah was having an awful time with what i thought was more allergy symptoms until i realized it had been over a month since i had it done. I hope maximus gets better soon. i do recommend allergy testing as well. wish i had done sarah long ago would have saved me alot of heart ache.

on another note ive been giving sarah twice that amount and she is only 47 pounds. but i do only recommend giving enough to control the allergies if they can get by on less then give less if not then dont and do give on regular basis.

Last edited:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Welp....I think allergy testing is the way to go for you. You might be surprised by the results and Maximus will feel much better once you truly figure out what is causing this for him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Allergy test all the way! and, in the meantime, give 50mg of benedryl twice a day. My guys are 60lbs and the vet said they can have up to 100m per day

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh, and benedryl, Gator is 52lbs and we were also told 2, 25mg benedryl a day.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
With benedryl it is 1mg per pound, so Maximus could have almost 3. 1 will not do anything to help a 67lb bully.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
I was giving Lex one 25 mg and it wasn't helpin then I was told give him 2 morning and night. Ever since I switched I can tell the difference tremindesly!!

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Christine, Gator and Lex.......

I think you guys are right ! I gave Maximus 2-tabs of Benadryl this morning, and already I see a big difference in his FACE. The redness around his eyes is gone and the red face is now a light pink. So I think I will give him 2 more tabs tonite and I think I will see an even bigger difference .......

Thanks guys !

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online