Yeast and Nose Rope Tip

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
For anyone who is interested :D

When Gator was at the ER, I asked them to look at the nasty yeast under his rope from his pork issue. She said it actually looked better than most (which shocked me and made me think, who are these people with those poor dogs and can I confiscate them for negligence :p). At any rate, I was going to clean it when I fed him his dinner there since he was staying over night. I had desitin and gold bond powder along with the "magic stuff" that someone recommended (can't remember who but THANK YOU!). She said to use anything with "Mal" in the name (which this has) and she would use the powder over the desitin. So, I thought I would try it even though it clumps on him sometimes.

Flash forward. I didn't really like the smell of the gold bond so my silly mind wandered and looked in the cabinet and I came across some corn starch. I have used it all week and wouldn't you know.....that yeast is almost gone! Can't believe it! Been battling it for weeks! WHOO HOO!!!

So, tip of the day is use CORN STARCH! Just the $1.50 can from the grocery store. Works GREAT.

edited to add: you have to use something to get rid of the yeast in conjunction with the corn starch. It is really to keep it BONE DRY so that it doesn't continue to spread or as a preventative by keeping the area dry.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nice tip... thanks! I'll try that on Banks' tail pocket

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my thanks for the tip maybe ill sprinkle it all over sarahs body :lol:

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
oh my thanks for the tip maybe ill sprinkle it all over sarahs body :lol:

Oh, geez..don't ya know it! I wish it was magic lol. She still not doing well?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
actually she is doing much better cept for seasonal allergies. her yeast on pads seems to be going away and she still has some remnants of her interdigital cysts which try to flair up some and her tailpocket will be ok one day then not so much the next. but all in all she is doing better. giving her zyrtec now instead of benadryl much better. i was just making a joke really:ashamed:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Great tip on the cornstarch. I have a bottle of gold bond pwdr...i know what u mean about the smell :nope: . How do you apply the cornstarch in their nose ropes and other wrinkles on their faces? it's so tricky w/my guys, they keep shaking their heads or just want to lick my fingers.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] I know you were joking but I really was wondering how she was doing. Was gonna send a message about her. She is too sweet.

[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION], I just use my finger. I sprinkled it in a cruet dish and then pat it with my finger and spread it in there. Gypsy tries to eat it too but I now sit on her (yes, I said sit on her) to keep her still. lol. Some use a ketchup or mustard squeeze bottle for powders. The kind with the small tips. I probably would have tried baby powder but my husband can't stand the smell. So then I thought, hmmm....this smells like nothing! :D

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Great info. Thanks Gator I'll start using corn starch as a preventative...Question. Im constantly wiping down his face wrinkles and tail pocket And im wonderingimg if too much wiping is a bad thing My Jack is mostly white and so his face becomes flushed after wiping him down and squeezing & huggimg him .. I use wipeys with Aloe and Im wondering what types u or others recommend .. Thanks

H

heff101

Reading all this about wiping their butts makes me laugh because after we got Heff I was telling my teenage niece I have to wipe his butt every time he goes. My niece turned to me laughing and said so uncle I guess you really are an asswipe after all!! LOL She got me.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Reading all this about wiping their butts makes me laugh because after we got Heff I was telling my teenage niece I have to wipe his butt every time he goes. My niece turned to me laughing and said so uncle I guess you really are an asswipe after all!! LOL She got me.

HAHA!!! Good for her! LMBO!!! If you go back and read some of my early posts when I first got Gator, you will see that I just could NOT believe that I had to wipe a dogs butt. I mean, seriously! Who wipes a dog butt??? But now, it is old hat lol.

[MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION], for regular maintenance I, personally don't use baby wipes. Only because they leave a residue that I don't care for. I do different things for each dog as they need a different kind of care. For Gypsy (who doesn't have any yeast), I use a clean washcloth that is just wet with plain water. I then dry really, really well and now am using the corn starch to keep her nose wrinkles and eye wrinkles dry. I went to Walmart and bought four or five of those 12 packs of white washcloths (the ones that cost $5 for a 12pk) and they are just for face washing. I like white because I can bleach them if needed. For her chin, after she eats (twice a day) I wipe with the GENTLE stridex pads (yes, they make a "gentle" one) and then dry and put on antibiotic cream if she has active acne.

For Gator (who has yeast issues right now), I squirt some MalAcetic or Malaseb on the cotton rounds and wipe, then dry, then corn starch. Sometimes, if the skin under the yeast was looking too pink, I would wipe with just a cloth and water after the MalAcetic sat for a few minutes.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Great thread! I got my cornstarch and ketchup bottle yesterday. (Already had Malaseb)

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] I know you were joking but I really was wondering how she was doing. Was gonna send a message about her. She is too sweet.

[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION], I just use my finger. I sprinkled it in a cruet dish and then pat it with my finger and spread it in there. Gypsy tries to eat it too but I now sit on her (yes, I said sit on her) to keep her still. lol. Some use a ketchup or mustard squeeze bottle for powders. The kind with the small tips. I probably would have tried baby powder but my husband can't stand the smell. So then I thought, hmmm....this smells like nothing! :D

I apply powder using Q-TIPS, it works great. My fingers are just a little to WIDE to get into face wrinkles.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
BTW: yesterday, I put the Desitin under just one of Bo's armpits. Then, before bedtime, I compared it to the other armpit - which had nothing on it --- and wow. WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MADE! Hooray @ Desitin.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
I do not use or recommend corn starch. This is actually FOOD product that yeast and bacteria can live off of. The other powders that are NOT food products are my choice
Keep clean and dry first. Wipe clean and dry. Use anti-products as necessary.

later,

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.