Scrotum infection and nail issues

Mod85

Jun 23, 2011
Manitowoc, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson "Sammy"
Yeah, I know the title sucks but I didn't know what else to call this :). Samson was at daycare yesterday, which he absolutely LOVES, and came home with very raw toe nails, the two middle ones on both of his front feet. He's worn them down so much that they were bleeding, I'm pretty sure it's because he drags his front feet. Daycare did notice this and pulled him off the cement for breaks. When we got home they started bleeding again, and he was trying his best to walk lightly on his feet as I can only imagine how painful it is. Does anyone know how to prevent this? I thought about getting those soft claws for dogs so that theres a barrier between his nail and the cement? Any help is greatly appreciated on this matter.

On to the next issue, I gave Samson a bath this morning (to get all the dried blood off of his fur from yesterday) and noticed that his scrotum looks infected. It has a crusty looking scab and the hair is missing from a small spot. Could he have gotten this from sitting on the cement as well? I noticed that he's being extra careful when sitting down, and didn't want it messed with (not sure if that's because it's tender...or because he just doesn't want anyone messing with that area.) I put neosporin on it and called his vet to make an appointment, he's going in at 3 today for a vet visit. Anyone else seen anything like this on their dog? ...I can't wait until that man part is gone, not only is he starting to territory mark and yap at every moving thing, but NOW he has some sort of infection..or something.

H

heff101

Looks like Samson has been a naughty boy and has picked himself up a STD!!
ROFLMAO

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Well you'll know for sure at his vet appt. , but I wonder if he got a brush burn from the pavement, or if one of his puppy friends thought they were to swat at and play with ;)

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Looks like Samson has been a naughty boy and has picked himself up a STD!!
ROFLMAO

Samson! What have you been up to darling boy?

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
poor little guy! glad he likes day care.. not sure what the infection could be but let us know what the vet says.. these bullies sure keep us on our toes!

H

heff101

I think Samson is going to have to bring a package of "protection" with him next time he goes to doggy daycare.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I have actually thought to use those things that slip over their nail and adhere to them to protect Gator and Gypsy's nails too. They both drag their feet and have certain nails that I have never needed to clip. If you try it, let me know.

About the other thing...who knows?? Let us know what the vet says.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2615]Mod85[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION]...what do you mean by drag their feet???????

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Peggy Sue drags her feet too. [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] she slaps her foot down, then when she lifts her foot up again,she slightly drags the toenails downward. followed by slapping her foot down again. Shes not lifting her feet high enough, this happens only on the front feet.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Exactly what [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] said :)

OP
Mod85

Mod85

Jun 23, 2011
Manitowoc, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson "Sammy"
Well we went to the vet and were there for about an hour. The vet didn't like the way his breathing was sounding and had an xray taken of his chest, thankfully he doesn't have pneumonia but he does have a chest infection so he's on amoxicilin. She looked at his nails, and besides being tender and sore they are not infected, I asked her what we should do about it and she said some dogs just don't pick up their feet when they walk so we just have to keep an eye on him and make sure he's not on cement for long, she doesn't want him going to daycare for a few weeks. I asked her about the softclaws for dogs, and she said she's only seen them used on cats, but thought it would be a good idea to try them out to see if they'll help at all (I checked out their website and they have soooooo many color options for dogs! Now I just need to figure out what size he'll need.) The vet also took a skin scrap of an area on him leg that I was concerned about, it was a bit red and raised and scabbing over - and he has demodex mange! He's been prescribed ivermectin, and a pharmacy in AZ has to contact me, so we don't have the medicine yet. She looked at the scab on his scrotum (and it's not an STD :) ) she didn't want to scrab it because it's already tender, and it doesn't appear infected. *Sigh* Oh Samson when will you get better.... He's now at home sleeping on the kitchen floor and feeling better than he was earlier at least.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh im so glad you got him checked out. well it wasnt a glowing report but at least you know what your dealing with and can fix it. hugs from me and sarah

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hope he gets better soon.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts