Tuffy acne followup

Kimrisa

Jun 20, 2010
Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice and feedback regarding Tuffy's acne. We took him to the vet today and I think Maximus may be onto something regarding the rubber toys! The vet wants us to eliminate all toys for a week to see if that's aggravating the acne. He thinks it may be the dye in the toys or also his excess drool when he chews/tugs a toy. And also we're going to clean the chin twice a day with hydrogen peroxide. He doesn't want us to put him on another antibiotic regimen at this time. He wants to see Tuffy again in a week to see if the toy ban helped. If not, we need to perhaps look at the rugs/carpets that he lays on. He doesn't think this is food allergy related since the breakout is only on his face and muzzle and the rest of his coat looks fine.

In the meantime we just need to figure out how to keep him entertained for a week. This poor boy lives to play tug of war! He said he can chase big balls but nothing is to be carried or played with in his mouth...

OP
Kimrisa

Kimrisa

Jun 20, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion! Tuffy loves rope toys and Petsmart is basically around the corner. I'll have to look for them. Unfortunately for this week the vet says nothing is to go in his mouth except kibble. But if we do figure out that it's the plastic or latex toys I'll definitely be stocking up on some of those rope toys!!

Kikiwhoa21

Jun 16, 2010
Wonderland, Texas!
Bulldog(s) Names
Chev Chelios && Faith
No Chew toys for a week?! Ayye. Thats a tough one! ;) Since he can't have any toys, maybe just taking him to the park to run around && release energy.

OP
Kimrisa

Kimrisa

Jun 20, 2010
Thanks for the support, everyone! We actually did take him to the park yesterday and have had lots of backyard play. But the poor guy was so pitiful and was starting to chew up the furniture so I broke down and went to the petstore and got an organic, all natural rope toy for limited time use. So far so good. And I think I see improvement already. His scabs are starting to heal and no new zits. I've also bought hypoallergetic detergent for his bedding to play it safe...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.