simplicef ~ round 2

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
So I called the vet today and he said to try a 14 day dose of 100mg simplicef. This should definately make the staph go away. Dr Youngblood believes it is being set off by some sort of allergy?? He said if this doesn't work or if it comes back again we will do an allergy test. I just want him to be well......it almost seems hopeless. I believe it would have to be food. He gets hardly any treats as he doesn't like them much. If I have to switch foods again I will go crazy. I can't figure out what to even try. He is on Fromm Salmon a la veg. He has had surf and turf(which he broke out within days of starting this) So how do I know which one it was because he had just finished his 1st bag of the salmon and had to be saved by [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] who sent him some surf and turf when the warehouse issue was going on. Some of you food veterans or those of you with dogs with allergies I need your advice. Thanks in advance....

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh no! He broke out after the surf n turf?? That's grain free..is your salmon n veg? Seems like a strange reaction! I am going to tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]..she has tried a lot of different food trying to help her Sarah..she might have some insight for you. I know it feels hopeless..but don't get too discouraged..I'm still struggling with jakes food too..but I'm hanging in there for another bag..then will probably go back to natural balance limited ingredients..not as highly rated..but I think if I stay away from anything chicken it's worth a try. His brothers are all on one of their varieties and doing well..we will help you figure it out..well..me..not so much! But I'll help you find someone to help! Hang in there! :hug:

OP
Luvin My Bullie

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
you always make me laugh [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] :) The Salmon I dont think has any chicken, but the surf AND turf does. I think he too has a slight chicken allergy.Like I said though I really dont know what caused it, salmon, s&turf or if iits even a food allergy. I have also took all of his bedding and kennel mat out because when we are gone he will pee on it the fold it and lay on it, I think the urine could also be a culprit....So he just finished the food you sent so now I'll do another full bag of the salmon with the antibiodics and see how he does. It is so frustrating, especially for me because heck, I dont eat healthy myself :ashamed: so I am no good at picking whats best for him :D

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
Many Salmon formulas have chicken in them :confused: Something you may not have thought of...one of my bullies is allergic to potatoes. They replace grains with potatoes in grain-free food. NVI does not contain potatoes.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
What a bummer! I am so sorry he has to go through this again. Good luck figuring out what is causing it. Think maybe a contact allergy could be it? Didn't you say it was on his tummy? At any rate, I hope you get it cleared up very soon.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Ugh, how frustrating! I am so sorry to hear you're having trouble with getting to the bottom of things. I am wondering if you might try Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient formula? It has no potatoes, no grain, and only one protein and one starch so it really helps you narrow down what you're feeding and what might be causing the allergies. I feed both my bullies NVI Beef and Lamb and they do well on it but Truman has been itchy and had a skin infection so I'm considering trying the limited ingredient formula as well if the infection comes back.

Let us know what you decide on and how it works!

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
Simplicef is the only thing that helps my bully's infections that he gets all over, I would get off the Fromm. That was a nightmare for us. The beef frittata made him the worst I never seen him so red. Believe or not I switched to blue buffalo longevity adult formula and it's been sooo good. His face is so clear and his hot spots aren't so red and are flesh color so I think they are healing. The food is mostly fish. I keep Reilly on the simplicef because it keeps his allergies under control. Maybe try blue buffalo , i have tried everything and it's so far so good, also duoxo wipes are great!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.