Gator is in the hospital for the night

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Thank you guys. I have made arrangements for him to come to work with me every day so that I can watch him. I am afraid to leave him and then something happen. He has to wear the cone as he tries to scratch/rub the eye and we just can't let him with the staples in. I will be very careful. He is a Klingon right now and won't leave my side poor baby. I went and got him a new bed because his stupid cone won't fit in the crate. He can go in, but can't turn around or anything. Gypsy is trying to nest in his bed right now with him in it! Too funny :)

Edited to add: AWW! Gypsy took five minutes to fluff that bed with scratching and patting and then laid out on the hard floor next to him. All for Gator Ray :).

Oh, and I think it is kind of cool how the opthamologist was such a detective! He knew by looking in his eye and seeing some rash/bumps, that he has airborne environmental allergies. Neat.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I am late to the thread, poor Gator, and you, have a long road ahead for recovery. I hope everything goes well as planned and time goes by quickly. God speed.
:pray:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Can you find a comfy cone in your area? Those hard plastic types are such a PITA. We did see the comfy kind here at fleet farm (after we needed one, so didn't buy one). The padded ones at least seem like they would be better, even though Gator might not agree. If you need us to get one and send it to you let us know.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Can you find a comfy cone in your area? Those hard plastic types are such a PITA. We did see the comfy kind here at fleet farm (after we needed one, so didn't buy one). The padded ones at least seem like they would be better, even though Gator might not agree. If you need us to get one and send it to you let us know.

Thanks Lari! I have one that isn't good quality somewhere around here and since I am trying to prevent him from scratching his face, I am a little worried that he will be able to bend it back and scratch..How stiff is it??? Anyone have a suggestion of how to possibly modify this one to make it softer on his neck? It is clear so he can see but I am afraid it will dig into his neck. I am wondering if I can pad it...it is a little loose on the neck and you can string soft material through it and make it a tad tighter (which I haven't) so there is room to put some sort of padding on it. I am taking it off while I am here with him to prevent scratching but I can't sit with him 24/7 lol.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Poor Gator!! I hope he gets better real soon. I'm not familiar at all with eye issues but it sounds scary to me. Lots of hugs to you both. :hug:

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
I just saw this I'm so glad he's going to be ok. Violet and I send him lots if hugs and loves

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Duke actually had Entropian surgery and had to wear the dreaded cone for 4-5 weeks.. We ended up taking him back to the vet and the girl cut the cone ( she left a larger peice so there was no way for him to get to his eyes but he could see better and it was much more comfortable.. I will try my best to find a picture and post for you.. Hang in there..

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
PoorBaby.jpg

Here you go.. we ended up getting the BIGGER cone ( more comfortable on his neck ) but then the Vet cut it so he could see better but left the bottom piece so he still could not rub his eyes.. hope this helps.

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
PoorBaby.jpg

Here you go.. we ended up getting the BIGGER cone ( more comfortable on his neck ) but then the Vet cut it so he could see better but left the bottom piece so he still could not rub his eyes.. hope this helps.

Lol poor duke

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Awww! Poor duke!!! That is the same one as Gator except his is clear. I see she left the long piece where you put it together. I have thought about cutting it too but wasn't sure about that one piece because it will come apart if I cut it. Did she tape the edge? @BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Awww! Poor duke!!! That is the same one as Gator except his is clear. I see she left the long piece where you put it together. I have thought about cutting it too but wasn't sure about that one piece because it will come apart if I cut it. Did she tape the edge? @BabyDuke

Yes she actually used heavy duty masking tape ha ha Duke was much happier once we did this.. and it lasted the whole 4-5 weeks.. makes you feel so bad.. hang in there

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw im glad gator is going to get to visit you at work every day. im hoping he gets better soon.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you :). Actually, I got up this morning and he had popped his staples. The ones on the bottom. My hubby dropped him off and I talked to the doc and he originally said that it happens often because when the eye starts to heal and the swelling goes down, they will sometimes slip out. However, AFTER he saw him and replaced the staples he said that they looked like they popped because he GREW! Weird! Anyway, I picked him back up and he is sleeping peacefully (sans cone) next to my hubby on the couch. I have been taking it off when one of us is right next to him to make sure he isn't trying to scratch.

Oh, and it turns out he has a yeasty ear too! So, back on the ear drops. Poor guy is just not doing well with this season change.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online