Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gator is in the hospital for the night

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gator is in the hospital for the night

Update...Went and picked up Gator. The opthamologist said it looks like environmental allergies (they can see something that under the microscope looks like poison ivy but isn't) caused the swelling and itching which made the eye swell making his entropian much worse and then with the entropian rubbing and him scratching, it caused the ulcer. No surgery is needed but he is on prednisone (a 7 day course) to knock out the allergy issue, three eye drops (two for the bad one and one for the one this not great but no ulcer), and a pain med. He has to keep the cone on for 7 to 10 days. He also has his eyelids of the bad eye stapled back because of the swelling/entropian and the fact that it will rub the ulcer. Those have to stay in for 7-10 days as well. We will then manage with allergy meds (not steroids) and eye drops until he is older (about 6 to 8 more months) and re-evaluate the entropian if there are not any more problems.

Thank you so much to everyone for all of their well wishes and the cute card! You are best! Oh, and @desertskybulldogs, it is definitely the voodoo doll!!!! Anyone know where that thing is????

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Poor Gator...so glad he went to the right place and is on his way to feeling better. Staples in the eyelids..just sound but I know it's routine. Give him big from us..and take a deep breath!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

oh my just read this thread. im so sorry about gator. i know how it is when they stay the night. i so hope he gets better soon. ill be thinking of both of you lots this week.

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

@GatorRay, YEA!! (well... I guess) BUT no surgery!! I am glad it is what it is and can be corrected with meds. I dont know if you have had your bullies on prednisone before???? Vegas was on it once, and he started peeing all over the house, I posted it on this site and got many responses that thier bully's did the same thing while on the prednisone. He would literally walk across the dining room tile and I could see pee just dribbleing out. When he was done with the steroid, he quit peeing in the house. They can't help it. Just wanted to for-warn you that this may happen on this med. to you and Gator!!

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

please make sure that that vets office keeps an eye on him all the time with that cone on his head. These guys have too short of legs with those cones. My vet is the recommended bulldog vet for my area. She refuses to use a cone on any bulldog because the clinic lost a bulldog when the cone got wedged between the body and the floor and it ended up suffocating. I'm sure they will monitor him closely but if you're to bring one home with him please don't leave him unsupervised for any amount of time.
    Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

So glad to hear he does not need surgery and is on the road to recovery. Give hugs to Gator from all of us.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

thanks for the update..big hugs.. and keep us posted..

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thank you guys. I have made arrangements for him to come to work with me every day so that I can watch him. I am afraid to leave him and then something happen. He has to wear the cone as he tries to scratch/rub the eye and we just can't let him with the staples in. I will be very careful. He is a Klingon right now and won't leave my side poor baby. I went and got him a new bed because his stupid cone won't fit in the crate. He can go in, but can't turn around or anything. Gypsy is trying to nest in his bed right now with him in it! Too funny

Edited to add: AWW! Gypsy took five minutes to fluff that bed with scratching and patting and then laid out on the hard floor next to him. All for Gator Ray .

Oh, and I think it is kind of cool how the opthamologist was such a detective! He knew by looking in his eye and seeing some rash/bumps, that he has airborne environmental allergies. Neat.
    Last edited by GatorRay; 09-06-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

I am late to the thread, poor Gator, and you, have a long road ahead for recovery. I hope everything goes well as planned and time goes by quickly. God speed.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Can you find a comfy cone in your area? Those hard plastic types are such a PITA. We did see the comfy kind here at fleet farm (after we needed one, so didn't buy one). The padded ones at least seem like they would be better, even though Gator might not agree. If you need us to get one and send it to you let us know.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LariP View Post
    Can you find a comfy cone in your area? Those hard plastic types are such a PITA. We did see the comfy kind here at fleet farm (after we needed one, so didn't buy one). The padded ones at least seem like they would be better, even though Gator might not agree. If you need us to get one and send it to you let us know.
    Thanks Lari! I have one that isn't good quality somewhere around here and since I am trying to prevent him from scratching his face, I am a little worried that he will be able to bend it back and scratch..How stiff is it??? Anyone have a suggestion of how to possibly modify this one to make it softer on his neck? It is clear so he can see but I am afraid it will dig into his neck. I am wondering if I can pad it...it is a little loose on the neck and you can string soft material through it and make it a tad tighter (which I haven't) so there is room to put some sort of padding on it. I am taking it off while I am here with him to prevent scratching but I can't sit with him 24/7 lol.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Poor Gator!! I hope he gets better real soon. I'm not familiar at all with eye issues but it sounds scary to me. Lots of hugs to you both.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads