ring to find a good insurance plan for my new family member

Jpastrocky79

Sep 4, 2011
nj
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
my family and i are getting our new pup in a few weeks. i am trying to find a good insurance for Rocky. we live in new jersey so if anyone can help me please help. i am also trying to find a good English Bulldog Vet. If you have any good advice im open for anything. thank you and we are very excited to having rocky as our new family member. i myself am excited because i love this breed

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
i do not have insurance for my Brooke, couldn't find one with a good enough price to justify it. I instead have money set aside in an account. Many people on here have trupanion but I've heard complaints lately of them doubling rates for existing clients.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
First, congratulations on your new boy! You must be so excited. When you get him home, we hope you will post pictures and tell us about him.

Next, I do not have insurance. I probably should have gotten it when we brought our boy home but the premiums were CRAZY. Instead, we have care credit and are on a revolving no interest payment for that.

For the vet, go to the bulldog club of america and they have a list of vets that are recommended for bulldogs. They are listed by state. The Bulldog Club of America we also have a list here of recommended vets. You can find it here English Bulldog News Forums ~ - English Bulldog News Recommended English Bulldog Veterinarians
Have fun with your new baby!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Congrats on your new baby! We are in NJ also. :) We use a local vet who has been GREAT with Chunk. He's also seen "THE Bulldog Vet", Dr. Kinnear in Staten Island for second opinions (his are always the same as our regular vet which gives me even more confidence in her). We are in Ocean County - where in NJ are you?

As for insurance, we HAD VPI but they covered almost nothing. It could be because Chunk was already 2 when we got him (they told us everything was "pre-existing", even an ear infection!!!) but I am really starting to think it makes more sense to just put money away every month. Although, some of these insurances could be could in an emergency situation more so than just regular bullie issues (eyes, ears, skin, allergies, breathing, etc.).

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN. Glad you joined and congrats on your new bully. Do you have any pix yet? We :heart: pix here lol Looking forward to seeing more about your bully and seeing its pix. :)

natemoore

Aug 4, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
little bit of honey bear (bitty)
when i went to get insurance for my bully i looked into vpi. i decided not to go with them when they told me becuase she had had pnemonia that they would never cover it again as it was pre existing. i decided to go with gopetplan instead. they cover everything to whatever level you really want. i went with the silver plan and a 200.00 deductable.

it seems as if they cover darn near everything including diagnostics. the premium is about 45.00 a month if you get it on line. I just had an instance where my baby fell off the couch and they thought she migh have broken a hip. i called the insurance to ask whether i should file individual claims or wait and file one claim. they said whichever way i wanted to. my big question was how would the deductable be handled? theyre response was it would be a continuation and the deductable would only be applied once.

so far this seems to be a pretty good company and policy. I was able to get a customer service rep in very little time when i called and he was very helpful in a very stressful situation.

hope this helps.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
when i went to get insurance for my bully i looked into vpi. i decided not to go with them when they told me becuase she had had pnemonia that they would never cover it again as it was pre existing. i decided to go with gopetplan instead. they cover everything to whatever level you really want. i went with the silver plan and a 200.00 deductable.

it seems as if they cover darn near everything including diagnostics. the premium is about 45.00 a month if you get it on line. I just had an instance where my baby fell off the couch and they thought she migh have broken a hip. i called the insurance to ask whether i should file individual claims or wait and file one claim. they said whichever way i wanted to. my big question was how would the deductable be handled? theyre response was it would be a continuation and the deductable would only be applied once.

so far this seems to be a pretty good company and policy. I was able to get a customer service rep in very little time when i called and he was very helpful in a very stressful situation.

hope this helps.

I have nothing but great things to say about this company. We have had it for Duke and it has paid off immensely.. they are very easy to work with and quick with reimbursements.. the best thing is they DO cover heriditary issues ( that alot of Bulldogs have ) ..:)

OP
Jpastrocky79

Jpastrocky79

Sep 4, 2011
nj
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
thank you and we are in central nj. we found a great vet. prices are good as well. Dr. Spin is Rockys vet

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
i have embrace pet insurance for jameson. it covers all "genetic" issues plus injuries that may occur. i did not get the one that covers yearly physicals etc. i really like them. i have a 500 dollar deductible and have never been denied putting anything towards it. in my first year i also received money back for going over. i pay around 35 a month. i wanted one that covered hip dysplasia, cherry eye etc, so that is why i chose them

as for vets...i don't take my boys to the bulldog vet in staten island because i live upstate but he is the vet to go to for issues...

Roger

Aug 5, 2011
I am a first time bulldog owner and got pet insurance the day after I got the dog. She is now 9 months old and I did have to take her to the vet for vomiting. A full battery of labs and xrays were done. My vet bill was around $1300 and the insurance sent me a check for $1067 in less than 10 days. The company is Pets Best Insurance and I recommend them highly. Prior to deciding on this company, I asked my vet which carrier their clients were most happy with, and Pets Best was named as the one. They also paid $100 towards spaying and paid for the initial wellness exam/shots, etc. I do have the "gold" plan for my bullie, which runs $75 per month, but it has already paid for itself.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I have had Trupanion for 3 years now on my Cocker Spaniel and Bertie is going on 2 and has been covered since she was a baby. I love Trupanion....I pay $111 a month, for both dogs with NO deductible. Trust me, it has paid for itself a couple times now. I have no complaints whatsoever!

Most Reactions

Members online