Seriously worried now...

Carolyn

Sep 2, 2011
Hi. (1st time here...) 4 yr old was on california natural and just started w/soft stool. Vet recommended i/d in the can- when I introduced dry it didnt help. Then went thru a series of dry foods, now 6 mths and still not working. Last week we started iams proactive and added boiled chiken & rice. For 3 days now it has been like a finger over the hose- but now he doesnt even seem to want to eat the chk & rice. I am really scared that we are doing serious damage to him. Vet checked stool and urine says all is fine. Should I make him fast for one day and then slowly re-introduce food? We are giving him a probiotic and antibiotic too. It has me so worried now I cant even sleep.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
First off, hi there and welcome. :)

Back to the topic, what foods have you tried? We're not a big fan of Iams here, I believe it's a 1 star food. I highly doubt that the switches are doing damage, more so he's getting tummy aches from the changes. We recommend slowly transitioning him into new foods, for example, 20% new food and 80% old food for the first couple of days, then change to 40% new and 60% old the next 2, and so on.

We find that a lot of bullies here are allergic to chicken and grains. So you'll notice that we suggest Fromm beef frittata to start as it has neither of those ingredients. But a lot also has been doing well on Natural Variety Instinct salmon and Avoderm.

What probiotic are you using? Also, what is the antibiotic for?

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Welcome, you have come to the right place.. My duke is SUPER sensitive when I change ANYTHING in his diet and I can only keep him on chicken and rice ( the bland diet for a max of 3 days ) .. Tyr to relax and yes I would think ( others can chime in ) to do the bland diet for a full 48 hours.. then start fresh with something but when you add in add VERY slowly.. ( maybe 1 part regular dog food to 3 parts bland ) then see how he does..

Just to clarify are you saying he has had runny stools for 3 months now?? if so he is not agreeing with something.

also when Duke is on antibiotics he ALWAYS gets the runs.. How long has he been taking?

Big hugs I know you are worried :hug:

L

Lucy-licious

I agree with [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] try the bland diet for a few days before re-introducing kibble. Finding the right food is so hard and a trial and error process. There is an article about the star ratings of food and general advis is buy the best you can afford. I'll go find a link BRB :)

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
My Brutus was a nightmare when trying to find a food that didn't make his poo liquid...it was literally a 5 month battle. First off, as mentioned above grains like corn and meats such as chicken make our bullies a lil sick. I know for fact mine is allergic to chicken and I learned that the hard way lol. I have him on a venison food and he seems to be doing great on it! Lamb had the same results as chicken. As for introducing soooo many different foods and having him have no interest at all in them because he's been sick...been there too. Def have your baby fast for a day so all that stuff is out of his system, but make sure he is def drinking water....even if you have to put his face in it. Then do the bland diet mentioned above....really worked for me! Doesn't happen over night that there will be solid poo, but youll notice it goes from liquid to soft to normal. It sucks...but hold in there! It gets better! :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
You got great advice! Transition slowly and question the antibiotic. If he has been on it for a while, why? It can also really mess up their poop and make it soft or even watery.

OP
C

Carolyn

Sep 2, 2011
Wow! Thank you all for your responses. We have him on Metronidazole x2 a day, by 1 wk. He had some blood w/diarrhrea, and white blood slightly elevated. When we started the meds we also introduced rice & boiled chk and thats when he turned to "water". After a day he stopped eating the chk totally unless I fed it to him by hand, so this morning I stopped the chk & rice and he ate all of the kibble (iams). The vet says they are giving us food on wed- not sure what it is. I have stayed away from beef so far- but I am going to try that today. They said he was low in protein too- thats why we introduced the chk. I really appreciate the mix ratio as wasnt sure how much for how long- he was on cal natural for so long never had to introduce anything. The probi-is Vetri-Mega and we are also giving him Endurosyn x2 days now.

OP
C

Carolyn

Sep 2, 2011
The vet is ordering Royal Canin Fiber Response. Any comments?

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I am replying to bump this to the top because there are alot of members on here that have tons of knowledge about the food. I feed Duke ( from the advice on this thread) Nature's Variety Instinct and he has done fabulous on it.. Be shore to read the link above also about food choices. and remember introduce sooooooooooo slowly... otherwise you are going to have more runny poo:begging:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok first of all if i read correct this started with the california natural food then continued with the meds and chicken and rice? its a little confusing how things came about. anyway i have read that california natural has changed their formula and lots of dogs were having soft stools after that. now those meds can certainly give a dog soft stools and then the chicken and rice can do that if one or the other doesnt agree with your dog. i had sarah on boiled chicken after we had a food scare and she developed liquid stool after that and only stopped when we put her back on kibble. if your dog wont eat the chicken then dont make them eat it. i dont think much of royal canin its very expensive for what it is and it seems they want the dog to have more fiber and canned pumpkin(not pie filling) will do that or my vet has told me to before to put metamucil on their food. is there a formula that is maybe similiar to what you were feeding in the california natural? was it lamb and rice or whatever try to find something similiar to that and use it. if your dog was eating the iams then feed it that until you can find something else as i dont think much of that brand either. im thinking maybe things straighten out more when they are off the meds. good luck and let us know how its going.

OP
C

Carolyn

Sep 2, 2011
HaroldFacebook.jpgthanks. gave him boiled beef and rice tonight, no meds, no kibble. He gobbled it up. I'll stick w/this for two days then slowly introduce the fromms beef...thanks. Here he is!

Last edited:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh, gosh...look at that sweet little baby boy!!! I love his little tooth!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.