Allergic Reaction to food

kels16

Aug 24, 2011
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
So I posted a thread the other day about Harley's collar, I thought he was allergic to it. Well, now I think it's his food :nope: & I thought we were doing so good on it. His neck is VERY pink and the fur is coming off, he keeps chewing/licking on his paws and he keeps scratching in his arm pit area and there are some scabs on his nack and arm pits. Guess we gotta try something new!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Save yourself and your baby a lot of trouble.... go to the vet and ask for a full allergy screening. It is a simple blood test that will run about $150.00 and it will tell you everything they are allergic to --- no guessing games and playing with food.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
An allergy test is a good idea. I would also consider that it is both the collar and the food.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
[MENTION=2894]Christine Welsh[/MENTION] gave good advice. Bullie had the same issues just last week that caused her to scratch her armpits, have bumps on her chin and neck, etc. It's not food allergy for sure. It's a seasonal allergy... I realized this after she stopped scratching 2 days or so ago - which coincided with my son's allergies as well. Interestingly, it's the same time that the mushrooms started to appear in my yard together with some weeds that show up this time of year.

So yeah, you could be cycling through different dog food and not realize it's actually your grass outside that is causing it... So yeah, the allergy testing is a good idea. It does have the tendency to give out false positives but it rarely shows false negatives... so, at least you can see what he might be allergic to.

OP
kels16

kels16

Aug 24, 2011
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
He goes to the vet saturday to get neutered so I was going to ask while we were there, I've heard about the allergy testing but I was told it cost $500! $150 is a way better price! Thank you for the advice I will have to look into that:detective:

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
could be a contact allergy,pop a tshirt on him so he cant get a secondary infection,and start eliminating things ie grass,wool,bedding ,give him a good bath to get off anything thats on his body ,its so difficult to pinpoint whats causing the reaction ,its taken me 5 months but we are getting there,karen

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
i got reilly allergy tested but the allergy test only tests for outdoor/mold type allergies. there is no way to tell food allergies from a blood test. reilly has both food allergies and outdoor i have kept it under control with simplicef antibiotic and blue buffalo longevity food (mostly fish) so far so good! he is looking so much better. good luck this allergy thing is sooo frustrating!

OP
kels16

kels16

Aug 24, 2011
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Poor Reilly! I wondered about blue buffalo I didn't know if it was good or not

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Poor Reilly! I wondered about blue buffalo I didn't know if it was good or not
I use Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck or Salmon flavors. Blue Buffalo also has Blue Basics that is good for allergy testing (small ingredient list).

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.