neat lavender

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
last week annies pad was cut open and she was limping,i asked the lady at the health shop what i could use and she said neat lavender as it heals inside and out,i applied it 4 times and it healed so well and annies pads are really soft,after her walk yesterday she had a cut pad and it was bleeding quite badly so i again applied lavender and this morning its is almost cleared ,plus it makes them smell nice and lavender has a calming effect ,so as annie is due in season and is a bit stroppy at the moment im hoping it will relax her also,karen

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
cool! I never knew lavender would do that! Also good for cuts and burns are marigold or st johns worth oils. Not essential, but olive oil (or any other) infused with the herb.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good to know thanks

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Is it like a lotion? I am glad it worked for her, poor girl!!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I also used it on Gypsy's mange and it really helped it heal quickly. Her hair is almost grown back completely. It smells good too. It is an essential oil and even Whole Foods carries it.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Where are some places that you can find this? I think I will try it. Thanks Becky [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] for tagging us!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
It comes in a small vial. Just make sure it says 100% pure lavender oil which most of them do. I got mine at whole foods but I have seen it at fresh market too. I would think like Becky said, they would have it any health food store or vitamin shop.

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
health food or vitamin store for sure.....more likely in a mom and pop store - not a chain link. I HAVE seen some essential oils at GNC, but there really wasnt a big variety.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
so its just lavender oil? hm never thought to use it on such things. ill bathe sarah in it when shes keeping me up all night. :yes:

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
just neat pure lavender oil dont mix it with a carrier oil as it will just sit on top of the pads ,you can see it soak right in,annies pads are all healed up and so soft ,karen

midwifemama11

Aug 14, 2011
Just my 2cents, I am a midwife and a novice herbalist. I use a lot of essential oils in my practice. The one thing I would like to say is that Lavender is a relatively safe oil, but we should all take GREAT CAUTION with our pets and our uses of herbs and essential oils. Cats for instance can become very toxic from certain oils and herbs because their livers do not process the same way that ours do. Additionally, using oils neat (some oils anyway) can cause skin damage and irritation AND, its not really necessary. You can get the same effect by diluting the oil and make your essential oil go much further. Sweet almond oil, olive oil and grapeseed oil are all skin soothers and have healing capibilities. Raw Shea Butter also does wonders for dogs. I do not have a book that defines which oils and herbs are safe to use for dogs or cats, but I would really caution anyone to do their research before applying them, especailly to such a sensitive breed. If an alergic reaction DOES occur, oils are hard to remove from the skin when applied neat and most are not suggested to be applied without dilution.

midwifemama11

Aug 14, 2011
Homeopathics on the other hand can be extremely beneficial for our pets AND they are completely non-toxic due to their minute dosages (based on the theory of this branch of medicine). You can purcahse a homeopathic kit of remedies specifically for your pets!

NOW brand essential oils, Young Living (though they are unreasonably expensive, though very high quality-its mostly hype) and Aura Cacia essentail oil brands are all wonderful brands and can be found at any Fresh Market, Whole Foods or other health food store. FYI, GNC sucks. They are more like a supplement warehouse than a health food store! Not much good in there unless you're looking for protein powder or weight loss pills.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.