Zyrtec

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
So I called violets vets to ask if I could give it to her and if so what's the dose. Well he said do not give it to her hmm now I'm confused cuz alot of you give it to ur pups.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

OP
Angievelvet

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
Thanks ice been giving her benadryl but I think she's allergic to the dye the equate brand uses so I thought I'd ask my vet about the zyrtec [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] I know uses it hey so now I'm just wondering why he'd say no. Maybe he doesn't know much about it...

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hi there.. yes I would ask why.. we were told by the vet dermatologist at the university of Penn to give it to Duke.. He has been on it for over a year. his reasoning for switching from benadryl to zrtec was because he feels it does not dry their eyes as much and duke had had eye surgery when he was young? I prefer it much more. Benadryl makes Duke dopy and depressed and I do not see a difference in his personality with zrtec but it really helps keeping the itchies at bay.. I am curious too as to why he said not to use it? :confused:

OP
Angievelvet

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
Hi there.. yes I would ask why.. we were told by the vet dermatologist at the university of Penn to give it to Duke.. He has been on it for over a year. his reasoning for switching from benadryl to zrtec was because he feels it does not dry their eyes as much and duke had had eye surgery when he was young? I prefer it much more. Benadryl makes Duke dopy and depressed and I do not see a difference in his personality with zrtec but it really helps keeping the itchies at bay.. I am curious too as to why he said not to use it? :confused:

I called and asked the receptionist seemed irritated she had to ask. I have given her it before she seemed fine. But I have a prescription for 10mg I was hoping she would just say give her one or two pills lol violets 30 pounds now.

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
My vet also reccommended zyrtec for Roxi's allergies over benadryl. I give Roxi one 10mg zyrtec in the morning (she's 40-45 lbs). It seems to be doing the trick! I have definitely seen an improvement. Her eyes aren't runny all of the time now either. I hope this helps! I know allergies can be so frustrating :(

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I was thinking of moving to Zyrtec myself. Gator and Gyps both have environmental allergies and right now it is soooo bad that even I have been just about dying (well, it seems like it anyway lol)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i have just switched sarah to zyrtec and she is doing fine on it. better than benadryl i think. she didnt react well to a couple of other ones i tried but the zyrtec she is fine with. ive been having to give her one and 1/2 as the air here has been very bad.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Duke is 59-60 pounds.. the vet told us to give him two tablets every 24 hours.. it really does help.. You have to do what your comfortable with but I would def try to find out why he told you not to use? and yes allergies are such a pain. I feel like I could write a book on Duke's! :blush2:

OP
Angievelvet

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] & [MENTION=1704]RoxiBear[/MENTION] [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]my thanks I'm nit worried since u have made me feel fine about giving it to her ;) I have the 10mg so ill be giving her one today ;) thanks for the info

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My vet told me it is better than benedryl.....?

OP
Angievelvet

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
Well I gave her one 10mg and nothing happened but less pinkness which is a good thing ;) I'm hoping there is a good bully vet. In Raleigh NC

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I'm curious as to what everyone sees in their dog following giving them a Zyrtec ...................What symptoms is the Zyrtec helping? No one seems to be talking about that.
As for me .... I have used Benadryl and Zyrtec, and personally I do not see a change in Maximus' symptoms at all - he still sneezes, and he still has a runny nose and his eyes are red,
so I don't see either of these medications working for him ..............the Benadryl does not make him dopey or drowsy !

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.