Really... Desitin for wrinkles????

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have been reading for hours on this site for remedies for a "smelly" bulldog, with temps here of 105* (with heat index) the last two weeks Vegas's face, not his body, has been smelling BAD, and smelling up my house and couch, I do use non-scented baby wipes with aloe twice a day, and my vet told me to use cornstarch, I do at night, but still smells (he does not have yeast) but I have been reading alot about using Desitin for diaper rash, does this really work? I bought some today (non-scented) but I am afraid to put it on his face. Have you used it and does it really help???
Thank You.

Attachments

• 38081_1225386493959_1807933183_434748_6991919_s.jpg
    38081_1225386493959_1807933183_434748_6991919_s.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 4,978

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Have heard you can use it to keep the area dry but if the folds smell maybe they need cleaned more? Or you can use gold bong powder to remove moisture. Have you tried mal-a-ket wipes? Or malecetic wipes also should work, they really clean up everything very well. Someone posted that stridex pads work similarly although I havent tried them.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I do wash his face with the baby wipes then dry with cotton balls, I have not used Gold bond, but my vet told me to use pure corn starch. Where do you get the mal-a-ket wipes? I went to the pet store and could not find them, I think the stridex pads would burn his face as they have mine in the past. I am waiting to put the desitin on until I hear from someone else that has

Attachments

• Vegas 018.jpg
    Vegas 018.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 708

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have not tried the desitin. Not certain how well it works. I would try the above recommedations from Cali first. My bullies hate gold bond, we just use regular powder.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Online thru amazon you can get the mal-a-ket wipes, thats where I get mine. They arent too expensive and really only need to use them like 1 time a week or so, at least for us anyhow. Not sure if they would sting or not but the boys hate them thats for sure. The old wipes I used to use werent hated as much as these but that company went under so here we are. I guess it cant be that bad if they arent fussing that much over them. I do know someone else here has been told to use the desitin by their vet also. If you go to the search bar at the top right of the page you can type in desitin and you will see what previous topics come up.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Love the pics Kamrino! You should add one to your avatar :)

Go to settings---edit avatar--- then your baby will be there everytime you post :)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
With two white bullies, I used Desitin religiously on their wrinkles. Not only does it restore the area to it's former beautiful whiteness but it also protects against moisture and dirt...think about what it's used for on babies! Also, it is very thick so you can use it safely in the eye area and, if things are really bad, I dust a coat of Gold Bond over the Desitin. It helps protect that tender skin, get rid of tear stains, and make your bullie smell like the baby he or she is!

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
i would be hesitant to use desitin as, in my experience it only works if a baby's bottom is completly dry, and i feel like its really hard to get those bully wrinkles that dry, especially in the summer heat. i use canus brand "natural goats milk" wipes for dogs on Horse's face and paws and they work really well, they clean well, aren't very wet so the area dries quickly, and smell pretty good.
http://www.canusgoatsmilk.com/eng/index.php/Nature-s-Dog/welcome-to-canus-vt-natures-dog.html

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
This topic comes up quite a bit of late .............

I can only tell you what worked for me. Mal-a-Ket wipes, followed by DESITIN ointment is what worked for Maximus. He has alot of facial folds and wrinkles that are deep, and the wipes and the DESITIN worked, and worked very well. I would NEVER put powder on a dogs face. I'd like to meet the VET who recommended that one ! Ugh!

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas's face has deep wrinkles also, especially on top of his nose, I wipe his face twice a day with baby wipes and both times get the "orangey" stains on my wipes. I am going to use Desitin tonight on him. My vet did not say to put powder, but he did say to use pure cornstarch. I just remember when my kids were babies not to use powder, so that they would not inhale it, I think the same would be for Vegas. His face is just so stinky with our weather being 105* daily the last two weeks, again his body does not stink, so I know it is just sweat. And again I did take him to the vet, no yeast, that is when he told me to use pure cornstarch. I am going to order some Mal-a-Ket wipes tonight. It is only going to get hotter here in Fl. over the next two months.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Thanks for the info, I did do that with avatar, I am new to this site, LOVE IT, I do not know anyone else that even has this breed where I live, I have read for hours on different topics. I did a lot of research before buying my Vegas, but I still have a lot to learn. I knew bully's required alot of upkeep, and I have done well so far, he is extremely healthy for 13 months, only encountered one ear infection (so far) with temps here of 105* for the last two weeks, his face is just EXTREMELY smelly, I did take him to the vet, no yeast, just smelly sweat. Thank you for the info.!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This topic comes up quite a bit of late .............

I can only tell you what worked for me. Mal-a-Ket wipes, followed by DESITIN ointment is what worked for Maximus. He has alot of facial folds and wrinkles that are deep, and the wipes and the DESITIN worked, and worked very well. I would NEVER put powder on a dogs face. I'd like to meet the VET who recommended that one ! Ugh!

I have actually heard this from several people, but it must be applied with a bottle that has a tip on it, like a squirt bottle. I don't use it very often, since my babies don't have this problem much on avoderm dog food. I may try this desitin on Jesse, she has one eye that stains. Would love to hear more input on this. :) Very interesting....

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
For those who are using Desitin< How often do you apply it? after each cleaning? every day?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Desitin is so thick, you don't really need to apply everyday unless the tear stain is really awful. For Linus, who gets into EVERYTHING, I usually apply every four days or so when his skin acts up and it sticks in there pretty good. Also, in terms of the powder of the face, I sometimes dust just a little over the Desitin to take away the sticky texture so no dirt gets stuck on it and have never had any problems using it. It also immediately improved the cosmetic look of the tear stains on white faces, which is a nice benefit. Here's a pic of Linus after his Desitin treatment...looks like he's ready for the beach!

Attachments

• Flower4.jpg
    Flower4.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 626

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Desitin is so thick, you don't really need to apply everyday unless the tear stain is really awful. For Linus, who gets into EVERYTHING, I usually apply every four days or so when his skin acts up and it sticks in there pretty good. Also, in terms of the powder of the face, I sometimes dust just a little over the Desitin to take away the sticky texture so no dirt gets stuck on it and have never had any problems using it. It also immediately improved the cosmetic look of the tear stains on white faces, which is a nice benefit. Here's a pic of Linus after his Desitin treatment...looks like he's ready for the beach!

He looks so cute! Gowsh I wuv him..... :heart:

I will surely try this now. I will let you know how it goes! Mandy, our all white, has only a bit of a stain on both sides, maybe I will try it on her as well to see if it goes away entirely. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.