How do you get your bully to cooperate with you when you want to put drops in their ears?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I just got a text from my sitter--she says Tate was whining and scratching his ear...she said it didn't smell so at least that's a good sign, but i'm worried that it may be an infection :(.
Hoping that it's not of course but I want to be prepared IF it is. I'm already dreading that if it is an infection, i'll need to instill ear drops for him. He is so squiggly and wiggly when it comes to trying to put anything into his orifices! How do you guys calm your bullys/dogs down so that the drops actually go into the ear and not everywhere else? Thinking i may need a 2nd person to hold him down, or put the drops in his ears when he sleeps. What do you do?:anyone:

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I " baby" talk to Duke.. I get a handful of kibble and put in on the bottom step.. I corner him against the wall and the steps.. I gently put my arm around his neck and then drop the drops in.. as soon as I am done I praise him.. tell him Good boy.. try to make it a pleasant experience.. Now my husband on the other hand runs around telling him to sit , medicine flying everywhere.. then says I give up! you do it.. :ROFL: my point is just stay calm and sweet talk him..

hope this helps

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I lay Sarah on her back n rub her for a minute to relax her then I just turn her head n put the drops in then rub her ear for a minute to get the drops in good then let her go she just lays there loving the rub

Donna LeBlanc

Jul 7, 2011
East Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Punkie Brewster
Our vet taught us a good "trick" for getting drops in! Get some peanut butter and a large plate...smear a thick line of peanut butter from one side of the plate to the other and put it in front of Tate and while he puts his mind to licking the peanut butter off the plate you can put the drops in his ears. He will be too busy concentrating on the delicious peanut butter treat to care what you are doing. Hope this little "trick" works for you...it has always worked for us! Good Luck!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
what ever you do, try to make the experience a pleasant one. works every time. and relax.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Some very helpful hints here! Fortunately, it looks like Tate's okay, not pulling at his ears or anything right now. I have some ear solution i'm supposed to squirt into his ears to clean them tho; he runs away and hides when he sees me w/that bottle. I'm gonna try the sweet talking, p-butter, and belly rubbing--thanks everyone!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Our vet taught us a good "trick" for getting drops in! Get some peanut butter and a large plate...smear a thick line of peanut butter from one side of the plate to the other and put it in front of Tate and while he puts his mind to licking the peanut butter off the plate you can put the drops in his ears. He will be too busy concentrating on the delicious peanut butter treat to care what you are doing. Hope this little "trick" works for you...it has always worked for us! Good Luck!

OOOOooooohhh.............. I LIKE it . I'm always looking for new ways of "bribery" and "trickery" ...... :ROFL:

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Penny freaks out with the ear drops. It was terrible with eye ointment for her cherry eye, too.

I have some of the big cruncy fromm treats. I give her one of those & she's distracted eating, and lets me put the ointment or drops in. I may try the peanut butter thing next time though!

She does the same thing when she sees the bottle. I have starting saturating a cotton ball in the solution. Then I can put it over the opening to her ear & squeeze it into her her. That works a little better for us than the squirt method.

:lmao:[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]! This is my husband exactly.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I try to be very confident - vet-like - and just do it as fast as I can and not put up with any BS. I have a certain position that I think works well. I stand with my feet about shoulder width apart and coax the dog between my legs (I know this sounds really weird but it's not!) and once he comes over I kind of trap him with my knees, bend down, and put the drops in each ear. This is really effective because you can immobilize the dog, but still have both hands free to access the ear and put the drops or ointment in!

I give a treat afterward for being a good boy.

I've been through a zillion ear infections and ear cleanings and this really works for me! Good luck with Tate!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I try to be very confident - vet-like - and just do it as fast as I can and not put up with any BS. I have a certain position that I think works well. I stand with my feet about shoulder width apart and coax the dog between my legs (I know this sounds really weird but it's not!) and once he comes over I kind of trap him with my knees, bend down, and put the drops in each ear. This is really effective because you can immobilize the dog, but still have both hands free to access the ear and put the drops or ointment in!

I give a treat afterward for being a good boy.

I've been through a zillion ear infections and ear cleanings and this really works for me! Good luck with Tate!

This is so funny because that is what I do with Gypsy. I have to practically sit on her at times but it works. Then I give her tons of hugs and kisses and sometimes a treat to make her understand that if you cooperate, you get the good stuff! lol. Gator and Lucy just sit there and let me do what I want. lol

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I straddle Vegas like a horse, lol, I get him in between my legs and almost sit on him to get the drops in and massage them in real good, he hates it but as soon as we are done he is on a dead run to the kitchen he KNOWS he will be getting a treat. I just got done dealing with an ear infection and had to use drops for 10 days. The very first thing I do when it is drop time is to close his crate, if he can make it to his crate I have to wait until he comes out. As soon as I close his crate he knows something is going to happen and nervously runs around the dining room. This could be drops or washing his face. He just knows when the crate is shut it is not going to be pleasant. (but very much needed)

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
that "straddling like a horse" position has been working out really well for both my boys! i managed to clean both set of ears over the wknd, and tho there was an initial struggle, each one ended up being v.calm and i was able to clean! :)
Oh, and the treat at the end is very, very crucial...as well as lots of kisses and snuggles! thanks for helping to make my life easier!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.