Help! What do you think this is??

Donna LeBlanc

Jul 7, 2011
East Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Punkie Brewster
Everyone, humans, dogs, cats...even our cute CLEAN Bullies have staph bacteria present on skin. When the skin gets a scrape or scratch on it...that's what allows the staph to enter our system and cause problems...all it would take is something as small as an insect bite or if Vegas had an itch and scratched a small amount of skin...the staph bacteria enters and the infection starts. If the immune system has been compromised, it's easier for the infection to start and spread. Our vet said that Chloe's immune system was compromised because of her low thyroid level. Punkie B has only had the infection once...I have been giving her yogurt everyday even after she got off her antibiotics...it isn't easy or cheap to keep Bullies in good health! But they are worth every cent! Keep us posted on Vegas! xxxx

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Wow poor Vegas I hope u caught this early cause staph and be very dangerous!! A friend of mines baby girl that's 10 months might have staph and it was caused by the Drs not cleaning the Iv area very good. I heard u can get it different ways one girl got strep and ended up w staph, another she had a upper respiratory infection. Once it's in the blood it can spread fast. Google bacteria in blood

Last edited:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Kelly, Seems the vet is in order, but, you can start giving him some fish oil (NOT cod liver oil) and that will also help to boost his immune system. Salmon oil is good. I did a lot of research on how to boost their immune systems when Gypsy turned up with the demodex. You can do the fish oil, give him a bite of raw beef or veal liver (chicken in a pinch). Just a smidge like the size of a dime. You can increase it over time but since he hasn't ever had it before, any more than that might give him softer poop. You can also give him a good probiotic. Jarro makes a pet one that is ok that you can get at the vitamin shoppe or order online. Yogurt is great but he would have to eat about 50 servings to get the same as he would get in a probiotic. You just sprinkle it on his food and he *shouldn't* have a reaction to it. There are more suggestions but I know you are not crazy about giving anything other than veggies/yogurt/kibble so I will skip those lol. I do know that keeping them relaxed and calm is great. Maybe get some lavender oil and rub him with a tiny bit of it. It should help him stay calm and relieve any stress along with the message :).

The point of all of this is to support him while he fights ANY infection or the side effects of an antibiotic. It will help him to get better faster and continue to feel good. Poor Vegas :(. I hope you can get in at the doc for something to help with that. It seems his immune system was down even before the antibiotic or he wouldn't have gotten repeated ear infections. I wish I could give him a hug!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 38
OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION], thank you for all the advice, I do have triple stength fish oil pills that I take myself, do you think those would work for him? They are from GNC. About the raw meat, I just simply can not do it, I think I would gag, I have a hard time myself with meat much less raw, although I read your blogs and admire those that are using the raw diet, I don't think I could stomach it. I am going to look into the probiotics, I don't know what is going on with his immune system lately, he is in a calm household and is a very calm boy, (he has his moments of being a wild man) Thanks again!!

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Kelly, no worries on the liver...just a thought :). Believe me, I am not offended when people don't want to add raw stuff. It has to be something you are comfortable with and if you aren't, no biggie!

What are the ingredients on the fish oil? Probiotics are easy to use and NOT stinky or gross. So, if you go that route, they are easy to get and easy to use. You just sprinkle it on his food.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw i hope vegas feels better soon. no advice here as ive not encountered that with sarah but lots of well wishes and hope he gets better. you already have gotten excellent advice. keep us posted

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
yes, let us know if the vet confirms it as staph and how he treats it. I have never encountered this before but I sure can't think it is comfortable! Poor guy! and Poor momma too :(

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
if it is staph, Bella gets this all the time. Her Immune system is very compromised with her EPI. The vet is never concerned, just have to bathe her more often with a antimicrobial shampoo.

At first I thought of a bug bite. Is it the only one or is there more? From what my vet has said, the staph is usually in the moist areas. (underarms, groin etc)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
This is really interesting and I will follow this closely not only because I am hoping Vegas is back in tip top condition in no time, but Truman just went through a bout of superficial pyoderma that is related to a weakened immune system so this seems like something I might want to keep on the lookout for.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION], does that spot on his leg look like what Truman had? It appeared yesterday afternoon and it is the only spot, it has not changed in size today and no more have happened, I am going to take off work early tomorrow (IF I can) my vet closes at 5, and I don't get off til almost then. It still does not bother him. Another question?? Is it possible I can get it through him? I have touched it several times to see if it hurt him (he does not even flinch) but I do wash my hands very good afterwards. As you have read he is batteling an ear infection and on mega-antibiotics right now. I have been giving him yogurt morning and night for his snack.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Kelly..you can get a great probiotics powder from the vet..forta flora..Jake was on it when he was brand new and had a small infection..you just sprinkle on their food..loved it!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.