hot spots! help!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I also fed Royal Canin to both my bullies ... until I got on this board and realized that those big, red welts that Linus was getting were from eating that food.

I TOTALLY understand how frustrating it can be to find the right food. Similar to your experience with Blue Buffalo, I started feeding Linus Taste of Wild and his faced turned red. Then I fed California Naturals and it was bought out by P&G. Finally I arrived at Nature's Variety Instinct (grain and gluten free) and he looks great, feels great, and never had a hot spot again. So even though you had a bad experience with Blue Buffalo, you might want to give a different food a try! I will tell you that Linus and Truman's stool is very firm and there is very little of it on NVI so it might be worth a look?

wormed

Aug 10, 2011
I'd abandon any bag of dog food if it could be the source of the issue. My breeder uses Orijen and her dogs react absolutely perfectly towards it. It is a Canadian product, so maybe you should look into it.

OP
buffalobabie

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
UPDATE!!

so the last few days he got alot worse. A sore on his back foot from sucking on it in the pad, scratching his eye until the eybrow bled. I couldnt handle it anymore, one or two hotspots i could handle treating they didnt seem to bother him so much but this was too much. So i called our vet and suggested putting him on a low steroid and changing his food. I am really against medication unless its the last restore and his vet felt the same way. So the new plan is oatmeal bath every 3 days with cold water, soaking his feet two times a day in epsinsalts, benadrly 3x a day 25mg for 7 days to see if the itches improve if not then steroids are required. The food change is slowing taking effect today doing 1 cup old food half cup new food twice a day. I got him all new treats,no meat in them at all! the new food has kangaroo meat in it, he said its such a rare meat its really rare to have an allergy to it. hopefully this all works!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.