Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hot spots! help!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gregory
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: hot spots! help!

nope! he wears a harness all the time with his tags on the back loopy. he has a small wind pipe so he cant wear collars

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

One thing to consider..my vet told me the swiffer pads were full of chemicals..not saying that has anything to do with his problem..but just for future reference..she especially warned me not to let cats on floors cleaned with swiffers until they had dried for at least 30 minutes! I guess because of how cats groom..I gave up and got a floor steamer just hot water!

Wrinkle Wiper Einstein the Great's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Einstein
    Likes (Received)

Einstein was on the Royal Canine when he came home from the breeders. And he was fine for awhile. But started having hot spots, redness, and diarrhea. Took us awhile to figure it out because I had no idea food was such a big factor in their health. Total turn around when we changed foods. Got lucky though...next food we changed to worked. Good luck! Every bully is different. Just have to find what works best for your little guy!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

I also fed Royal Canin to both my bullies ... until I got on this board and realized that those big, red welts that Linus was getting were from eating that food.

I TOTALLY understand how frustrating it can be to find the right food. Similar to your experience with Blue Buffalo, I started feeding Linus Taste of Wild and his faced turned red. Then I fed California Naturals and it was bought out by P&G. Finally I arrived at Nature's Variety Instinct (grain and gluten free) and he looks great, feels great, and never had a hot spot again. So even though you had a bad experience with Blue Buffalo, you might want to give a different food a try! I will tell you that Linus and Truman's stool is very firm and there is very little of it on NVI so it might be worth a look?

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

I'd abandon any bag of dog food if it could be the source of the issue. My breeder uses Orijen and her dogs react absolutely perfectly towards it. It is a Canadian product, so maybe you should look into it.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gregory
    Likes (Received)

UPDATE!!

so the last few days he got alot worse. A sore on his back foot from sucking on it in the pad, scratching his eye until the eybrow bled. I couldnt handle it anymore, one or two hotspots i could handle treating they didnt seem to bother him so much but this was too much. So i called our vet and suggested putting him on a low steroid and changing his food. I am really against medication unless its the last restore and his vet felt the same way. So the new plan is oatmeal bath every 3 days with cold water, soaking his feet two times a day in epsinsalts, benadrly 3x a day 25mg for 7 days to see if the itches improve if not then steroids are required. The food change is slowing taking effect today doing 1 cup old food half cup new food twice a day. I got him all new treats,no meat in them at all! the new food has kangaroo meat in it, he said its such a rare meat its really rare to have an allergy to it. hopefully this all works!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads