Cleaning nose folds... HELP!

lild428

Aug 17, 2011
Hello I am brand new to this site.

I have an almost 2 year old English Bulldog named Nemo.

How on earth do we keep the fold above his nose dry and clean? Seems like it is always moist. We clean it out almost everyday. Q-Tips and tissues. It's gross and it smells haha. The fold is so deep and tight that I feel like I am hurting him sometimes.

Is there any continuous procedure I can do to keep this area clean and dry? Any ointments or powders or..? Please help, thanks. I am familiar with German Shepherds for years so I figured I'd come here and ask people who have had bulldogs for years and years...

Thanks! :) :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Welcome to EBN!!! We would love to see pictures of Nemo.

I can tell you what I have done in the past that has helped and I am sure others have some great suggestions as well. Daily, I use a wipe called "Duoxo" that you can get from amazon. It is a chlorhexadine wipe that works wonders. Some use Mal A Ket wipes that I think you can get at amazon as well. Then dry completely, and I mean DRY. I use a thin layer of desitin to keep the skin protected from the moisture. If it smells under there, the wipes will help clear that up and then the desitin will keep his skin healthy. Some people put gold bond powder or corn starch but for me, it clumps up under there so I don't use it. If you do use powder, be sure to not get any in his nose or eyes. Good luck and I hope this helps!

I hope this helps!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'll be honest ......... I can't add much more than what [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] put in the previous post!!

I clean with baby wipes on a routine basis. So maybe if you use one of the chlorhexadine wipes until the smell clears up then you could switch to baby wipes. that way you can screw one of the cornes up a little and maybe it won't seem so bad if you have to poke quite a long way into his nose rope. We use the wipes for sensitive skin which are unscented etc. I'm also using desitin right now on Maggie because both her eye wrinkles have become very sore. I'm thinking seasonal allergies are making her eyes water a lot more right now!

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] I am looking at the wipes on Amazon. Are they always priced at $8.99? It seems like they are really marked down. I thought about ordering 2 if they are not always on sale. Have you tried the Duoxo shampoo?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
@GatorRay I am looking at the wipes on Amazon. Are they always priced at $8.99? It seems like they are really marked down. I thought about ordering 2 if they are not always on sale. Have you tried the Duoxo shampoo?

They are usually more, they must be on sale! COOL, I just ordered but may go order a few more. I haven't tried the shampoo as he doesn't have skin issues anywhere on his body except his face. If you try it, let us know how it goes!

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
They are usually more, they must be on sale! COOL, I just ordered but may go order a few more. I haven't tried the shampoo as he doesn't have skin issues anywhere on his body except his face. If you try it, let us know how it goes!

I got two of the wipes to try. You use these daily? Penny's face is smelly. I have been cleaning with baby wipes, but it doesn't seem to be cutting it. She isn't smelly anywhere else or have any other skin problems, so I'll hold off on the shampoo. It's also rated very well on Amazon, so it's nice to know it's there if it's ever an issue in the future!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Just an FYI ... we got chlorhexadine wipes once when Maggie's eye wrinkles got really bad and had to pay just over $25 for the tub!! So $8.99 is a BARGAIN!!! :up:

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I have never used any chlorhexadine wipes on Bertie.....her vet specializes in Bullies and he told me to use Stridex pads......said it will do the same thing and is much cheaper. Bertie will be 2 in January, and so far so good....no problems!

OP
L

lild428

Aug 17, 2011
Thanks guys.. I'll try the baby wipes first before ordering the others on Amazon and pick up some Desitin to use after cleaning with the wipes.

H

heff101

Welcome to EBN!!! We would love to see pictures of Nemo.

I can tell you what I have done in the past that has helped and I am sure others have some great suggestions as well. Daily, I use a wipe called "Duoxo" that you can get from amazon. It is a chlorhexadine wipe that works wonders. Some use Mal A Ket wipes that I think you can get at amazon as well. Then dry completely, and I mean DRY. I use a thin layer of desitin to keep the skin protected from the moisture. If it smells under there, the wipes will help clear that up and then the desitin will keep his skin healthy. Some people put gold bond powder or corn starch but for me, it clumps up under there so I don't use it. If you do use powder, be sure to not get any in his nose or eyes. Good luck and I hope this helps!

I hope this helps!

Think its called Douxo?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some good advice from [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION], we use unscented baby wipes and that seems to be working. But do keep the chlorhexadine handy just in case.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i cant add much more than [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] but I order my stuff from entirelypets and they seem to have good prices as well. nothing wrong with amazon but just throwing something else out there for people. they have a whole line called chloraseb for yeast also plus malaket.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.