Hi any advice welcome

flower21clr

Aug 13, 2011
Clearfield pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Hi we just got spike an 8 month old English bulldog a little over two weeks ago. I am slowly switching him from iams to canidae. His eyes are bloodshot and his face is red they don't smell and his paws are pink along with his belly. I think he's allergic to the grass or my hostas which he insists on laying in. I give him benedryl and that seems to help I aso started to give him 2 table spoons yogart in his morning food. I also try to wipe him off when he comes inside. Some times that's hard I lost count how many time him and my six year old came in and out today. Now I'm going to ask about behavior he is great with the kids, he's has the best leash manors we walk beside or be hind me. But towards me some time he jumps at me and barks is this him wanting to play or is he trying to show his domance? He has done this from day one it is getting to be less it really just lands in by his self or in his create. Yet as I type this he is snoring curled up at my feet. We are learning he is better at night if we go to the park and play soccer after dinner. Any help would be great thanks.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: I can't really give advice on the barking. We don't have a puppy. But I would think he's trying to play. Looking forward to seeing some pics!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Congratulations to both you and Spike! I hope you are ready for the wonderfulness that is a bulldog. You will, very quickly, fall madly in love with him. They are like no other breed. How did you find him? Welcome to EBN and I hope you post pictures soon as we LOVE pictures here! Trust me, others will ask for them :). Also, just jump right into any discussion. The people here are wonderful and we love to hear stories about each others' bullies.

You may be on the right track about the grass allergy. Benedryl is great. You can give 1mg for every lb he weighs every 8 hours. Also, I think the barking and jumping is probably just him wanting to play. You are doing the right thing by correcting him when he does that so that he knows that jumping is not ok at your home.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Welcome to EBN!!! You will love it here .... be careful it can get addictive!!

You've only had him for two weeks so he is still trying to test and find out where the boundaries are. Continue to act as the pack leader and he will soon get the message. Just like a child they need to be taught which behaviour is unacceptable and what is acceptable!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Welcome...glad you found us. I agree with [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION].. He is testing you.. and as [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] said..he's young..wants to play..they use playing to figure out their world. I'm sure he is sooo excited..all new friends! He sounds like he needs the exercise he gets from the park. That's great for him! Congrats..welcome to our bully world!

OP
flower21clr

flower21clr

Aug 13, 2011
Clearfield pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Thanks for the advice my husband and I thought it was time for a dog. He had to be ready for one for it ro work with our family I always had one his family isn't really pet people. He gave me a list of dogs he research and thought he would like I did research and Englishdog was the breed we agree on so I started looking. I found three scams. Then on night when I couldn't sleep I found spike online he needed a good home because his family was never home. Know at my house he lucky if he gets three to four hours a week with out someone home I am a stay at home mom and my husband is a home body when he not at work. My girls adore him not sure how he is going todo in two weeks when they go back to school. He is a real good boy most of the time. He is quickly becoming the neighbor mascot. We have lived in our house five year there is a lady one house away I have never talk to we got spike she has stoped me twice to talk LoL! I need to say thank to everyone I found your site and have been reading it for advice evry night. The pet food rating were great because I would have feed him the Imas and not thought anything of it because years ago that what we feed our black lab my mom has always feed her dogs Imas. I also have been reeding and have seen many mention vegetable mash? I have some spare jars of baby food vegetable could I give them to him our youngest has move on to table food she never like the texture of baby food. I do think I have already fallen in love with spike and been bitten by the bullie bug. There is a lady not far from me who breeds very nice bullies and I have already informed my husband that in a couple years i Want to get spike a play mate. Her and I we're talking about a puppy when I found spike and had decided it was better to give him a good home that she would find her puppy's good home but spike was in more need. I will post pictures soon thanks again

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
WELCOME FLOWER and SPIKE!

We have a 3-year-old bulldog too who barks at us when she wants her butt rubbed. She even did it to visitors! We adopted her a few weeks ago, so we're trying to correct this behavior by ignoring her when she barks. It's been working ok so far.

Now, she still climbs people's lap thinking she's a lapdog (she's 60 lbs!)... my husband lets her, so it's a bit more difficult to tell her, it's okay with daddy but not with mommy. A little too confusing, ya know.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.