Fits

Rubiddydub

Jul 5, 2011
Hi just wondering if anyone on here can relate to this or has encountered this with their bully?
Our Margot is 16 months old and other than eye problems she is very healthy.
Last night around 11 pm we noticed her shaking her head uncontrollably and would not stop it. I tried to comfort her and after a few minutes she stopped, then about 15 min later she started to do the same again and she was coming to me for assurance. W called the vet and took her there straight away and they gave her a jab of diazepam Which they said would settle her and to monitor over night. Over night she was obviously drowsy and we had no involuntary head shakes. This morning though the same happened again so we took her down the vets. They have taken some blood from her and we should get the tests back by tomorrow, however in the meantime the vet has subscribed epilepsy tablets for two week to try and control the fits / seizures . She is still drowsy as of yet but then she did only have a diazepam shot 5 hours ago. We have had no fits as of yet.
Just wondered if anyone else has encountered this as a bit worried or her!!

Thanks in advance
Marcus

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Oh!!! I am soooo sorry to hear this happening to your baby!! She is soooo cute!! I myself have no experience in that. There are plenty of peeps here that will be able to help though. [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] is one of the people that will be able to answer alot of your questions.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
While I have no experience with this..I have certainly read a lot here from people who's bullies do have these "head tremors"...I think if you do a search here under head tremors..you will be able to read up while you wait for the more experienced people to find this! I'm so sorry you are dealing with this..but I do think you will read that it's MUCH scarier to you than serious to your baby.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
quite common in bullys give her a tsp of honey it should stop it,annie did this yesterday ,usually related to stress,over excitment,comming into season,just dont panic it looks worse than it is,if its true head bobbing its not epilepsy ,karen

OP
Rubiddydub

Rubiddydub

Jul 5, 2011
Thanks guys I have searched tremors and it's exactly what Margot is going through......she is fully responsive through out the head shakes, I'll get back in touch with the vets and see if they have come across this as I don't really want to be giving her medication if she doesn't really need it.
Thanks for your help!!!
Marcus

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I agree with the above. This is most likely head tremors. Here are two videos to watch. The first is sweet Maggie [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] bully. She does the head tremors over her carrots!
This is very common in bulldogs. Sometimes excitement or stress can cause it. Other times it can be low blood sugar. Here is another video of Vegas. This is my 4 year old who was diagnosed with epilepsy at 10 months.
Those are two different extremes of what you could be dealing with. Hopefully her tests come back normal and you can take her off the meds. (is it phenobarbital?) FYI, phenobarbital is a drug that can cause liver damage. If it's not epilepsy then I would get her off of it. These guys have enough to deal with ...they don't need to deal with possible liver damage.

[MENTION=2699]Rubiddydub[/MENTION]

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Glad you figured that out before getting her on some kind of meds. I do have a question tho, is your vet a bully vet? If not you may want to look into finding one who knows about bullies specifically cuz it seems to me to be giving a shot of anything is scary. A bully vet should have known or considered that it could have been head tremors I would think? Maybe I am wrong. If that is what she is having dont worry it doesnt hurt them or anything. Have seen it compared to a twitch, kinda annoying but thats it. Dont give off a reaction of being afraid or anything cuz she will sense it also. A distraction will help make it stop. Some people swear by ice cream, ice cubes, just something to get her focused on something else till it goes away.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My two experience the head temors as well... as long as they are responsive... look at you when you say their name, come when called, take a treat... they are fine and not in pain. It is VERY common in several breeds... bullies mostly.

OP
Rubiddydub

Rubiddydub

Jul 5, 2011
Hi thanks for the replies it's def the first video that she is showing the same and not the epilepsy one (that's hard to watch)
We spoke to the vet again today and told him our views on head tremors and he kinda dismissed it saying it's not that common. Well I now beg to differ and I will not be giving her the meds (epiphen) I will show him this tomorrow like you say I will be finding a new vet who knows about the breed. Sometimes you wonder if these vets are just in it to make money instead of having the animals best interests at heart. Thanks again for your replies at least now I'm not so worried about her. I will see what she is like over the next few days.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2699]Rubiddydub[/MENTION] If your bully is doing the same as what my Maggie was doing in the first video then it is definitely head tremors and not epilepsy. Head tremors are actually very common, and not in just english bulldogs so I would question how good your vets knowledge is if he doesn't recognise them. Do what I did and what [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] does ....... if they do it again get a video of them. Even if it's just on the phone it will help the next time you see a vet!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I hope you get answers real soon. As you already know, you have found the perfect site for anything Bully and support. This is a great group and we are all here when one of us is in need.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
My Chunk gets the head tremors too .... Has happened as a side effect of medicine (benadryl and one other med so far) and again it happened but we were unsure why that time. We had switched food somewhat recently so we gave him a little vanilla ice cream (as per his old vet) when it happened and now we are changing food again. My vet told me that the head tremors are like an eye twitch is to us - annoying and uncomfortable but doesn't hurt anything. Hope you find a vet who knows better. :/

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am so glad you came and researched this before you gave her too many meds! I am also glad that it is likely head tremors and not epi. Give her tons of hugs and I hope you find a new vet. We have a vet recommendation page here you may want to look over: English Bulldog News Forums ~ - English Bulldog News Recommended English Bulldog Veterinarians You can also go to the bulldog club of america site for their recommendations as well.

Also, WELCOME!!! I am glad you are here. I hope you will stick around and post some pictures of your sweet girl and tell us all about her.

OP
Rubiddydub

Rubiddydub

Jul 5, 2011
Well we are def looking for a new vet as we showed the vet after our second visit the tremors as I videoed it on my phone but still he says it's uncommon.....the blood results came back last night showing nothing and still he feels that she should be on meds............the only person who should be on meds is the vet I think!

Thank you all for your help and kind words!!

Marcus

S

Steff Marshal

I think you have committed of time wasting or you did not observe this at initial stage .Any how now you have approached the vet, now stop and sit back and do the vet what does he want but its a serious matter .

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.