Interesting Article and Flea & Tick Prevention

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Last edited:

VoicesInMyHead

Jul 15, 2011
Phx, Az
Bulldog(s) Names
Arwen Undomiel
I can see both side of this article, and I would never put something on my dogs that is dangerous for me to come in contact with... yikes, dang that common sense thing.

I also realize that, just as with humans, medicines have extended the life span of those that we love. It wasn't that many decades ago that a person's life expectancy was very short and the decades could be counted on one hand with a finger or two to spare.

If there are statistics of the life span of wild dogs, I would bet they would be only a few years. So, I use that dang'ed common sense thing to balance medical technology with the well being of my pets. Is there a "right" answer for all, or even most, pet owners? Highly doubt it. I guess it comes down to self education and paying attention to your pets and what changes they are experiencing.

Just my
twocents.gif

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I can see both side of this article, and I would never put something on my dogs that is dangerous for me to come in contact with... yikes, dang that common sense thing.

I also realize that, just as with humans, medicines have extended the life span of those that we love. It wasn't that many decades ago that a person's life expectancy was very short and the decades could be counted on one hand with a finger or two to spare.

If there are statistics of the life span of wild dogs, I would bet they would be only a few years. So, I use that dang'ed common sense thing to balance medical technology with the well being of my pets. Is there a "right" answer for all, or even most, pet owners? Highly doubt it. I guess it comes down to self education and paying attention to your pets and what changes they are experiencing.

Just my
twocents.gif

Oh, I totally agree with you on that one! I am one of those weirdo's that try to balance things. I vaccinate (OH NO! lol) to begin with. I also use heartworm meds! Go figure hehe. BUT for me, if there is something that WORKS that is less harmful, I am all for it!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I hate putting flea stuff on..but I hate ticks and lime disease more! I'm still searching...thinking about the cedar oil stuff? For now..I have only put it on Jake once..we don't have heart worms here and I am very careful to check for ticks..a balancing act indeed! Thanks for article..I did find it intriguing!

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] We do have heartworm here and I looked at the information on how a dog gets heartworm and it is actually rather difficult for them to get. But I, personally can't see taking the chance so during spring/summer we use it. Neem oil is als supposed to be effective for fleas and mosquitos and I use that for Gypsy's mange.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] We do have heartworm here and I looked at the information on how a dog gets heartworm and it is actually rather difficult for them to get. But I, personally can't see taking the chance so during spring/summer we use it. Neem oil is als supposed to be effective for fleas and mosquitos and I use that for Gypsy's mange.
Ok! Thanks..I will check it out!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Very interesting article! I'm going to have to research this further. My dogs don't use heartworm meds but they do get monthly advantix from spring through fall.

Super thanks.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
YES!!!!! Thats's it..[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION]...it was developed for troops to combat sand fleas..i have been reading that it is being used effectively for bed bugs that seem to have infiltrated major cities. It might be a different company..but same product. I know someone who swears by this for fleas..I think it's time for me to try it...err..on my critters! Thanks!!!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Interrupting the thread to tell [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] that your puppy pic on your sig is the cutest english bulldog picture I have ever seen. Hands down.

Okay, carry on...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.