Red feet, neck and chin. Recently adopted. Recovering from red mange.

midwifemama11

Aug 14, 2011
Recently adopted an English Bulldog. He was fostered from April until August while he was treated for demodex mite infestation and severe anemia. He required multiple transfusions, a lot of care and treatment. His last two skin scrapings were negative and he is healing. He still has a few pustules left that we are going to have the vet check out. He was eating Purina at the shelter, we are transitioning to a lamb and rice blend it is grain free but it DOES have potatoes. I read in a couple of forums that those may cause allergies or increase yeast. His white feet, chest and neck are reddish. I'm not sure how much is due to his healing skin (he was severely consumed with mange and bald over about 60% of his body. Anyone have any clues? I can post pics later when my husband gets home. I am familiar with yeast in humans (I'm a midwife ;) and there is no scaling, flaking or oozing, just a generalized reddness.

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
:welcome: and so glad you found this wonderful breed! I am familiar with demodex and it does cause redness, however, as you seemingly know, Purina is a bad bad food! So, definately alot of his redness could be food related. I would definately do a slow transition to a better food. We have a food rating article and it really helped me decide when I transitioned Chaos from Pedigree. Bullies tend to have sensitive tummys so make sure you transition slowly so it doesn't upset his tummy! Glad you found us and your sweet helpless bully!!! Looking forward to all you have to share and most of all lots of pics!!!There is always someone here with an answer to every question, so feel free and ask away....you'e gonna be an EBN addict in no time :ROFL:

OP
M

midwifemama11

Aug 14, 2011
On adoption day
slimfamily.jpg

slim (18).jpg

His name is Slim. Named so by the shelter staff because he was a meager 27lbs when he was rescued.
slimbeforeandafter.jpg

OP
M

midwifemama11

Aug 14, 2011
Been doing a little more research and I'm thinking that with all of his immune issues and his poor diet and antibiotic treatments that he may have some yeast issues that account for the reddness of his feet. I'm taking him to the vet this week and he is on his new diet so hopefully that will help. I'm going to start with some colloidal silver sprays on his affected areas since I already have that and see where it goes from here. His food already has probiotics so that should help restore some of his lost flora as well.

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Welcome!!

You all look so happy in his adoption day photo! His story is sad - so glad he is a part of your loving family now!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Wow he is a gorgeous boy and so happy you found each other. He was in bad shape there for a little while, it's a shame how people treat these beautiful animals. Welcome to the site and looking forward for more pics.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
What a great family photo. You all look happy together. That bulldog is amazing and I'm so glad he has a good family whose gonna take care of him. I guess a lot of hands on TLC is gonna get him well. I don't have any experience with mites or anemia but I'm sure someone will be along with advice. Look forward to seeing more pictures. Thanks for sharing.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh, he is a BEAUTY! What a happy boy and family. Thank you for sharing the pictures. I was going to say what you figured out, it is probably yeast. Yes, potato can aggravate yeast issues in some dogs but some tolerate it well. The best I have found for yeast on skin is chlorhexidine wipes. They work great for us. I would doubt that the mange would cause an all over "redness" but could. If it is more rusty colored, it is yeast for sure.

Sounds like you have it under control! Good luck and keep sharing!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
How sad are those initial pics when he was rescued ... but I love that big smiling face of his when he is with you in his adoption pics!!

You seem to know a lot about food already, and the effects it can have on bulldogs. May I ask what you are now currently feeding him .. that may have a lot to do with the yeast issues as you've already mentioned.

OP
M

midwifemama11

Aug 14, 2011
He was on Purina One at the shelter. We have him mostly transitioned to Natures Domain, supposedly comporable to Taste of the Wild, another highly recommended food. It has everything good that I was looking for EXCEPT that it does have potatoes at one of the top 5 ingredients. I'm trying to do a bit of research about what probiotics would be good for a dog. Don't know if their intestinal flora is a similar make up as ours and if I can just give him our human probiotics.

As for the cloro wipes, I can get those from the lab for free I think! I'm going to try with the colloidal silver sprays first and see how those do, I prefer to be as natural as possible at first. How lucky am I to work with a doctor of chinese medicine who can treat animals!! HA!! How lucky is SLIM!!

He is beautiful. I was stunned with I met him and to see his story and pics and how far he came from his days of being tied to a fence. He's not quite two years old and a beautiful white and brindle. No apparent health issues that are common with this breed and a generally happy and easy going dog. I feel like we won the lottery! Not to mention that we arrived at the shelter during an adoption event AND it was halfprice adoption Wednesday! We made the full adoption payment of course as a donation and gladly more! I found him while searching for our dachshund which has been missing for more than a month.

Did I mention that he is great with my 2 year old, our grumpy middle aged foster chihuahu, our old man declawed rescue cat who boxes like Muhammed Ali ANNNNNNND our guinea pigs! Considering all hes been through he's made a 90% improvement, now we just need to build him up and boost his immune system and treat his skin. He is chewing the heck out of his feet as I type!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
hes looking great now,use apple cider vinegar in his food,his immune system will be knackered ,as hes had mange have you thought of raw feeding ??,oh people i know i know get off my soap box lol,karen

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Welcome to the site and the pics are gorgeous. You can give some plain yogurt if they will eat it and tolerate it. Grizzly wild Alaskan salmon oil is good for the immune system and coat. I have used people acidophilus pills for Sarah also. Good luck he looks wonderful.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Wow, congrats on your bully and welcome to the site.

I would give the new diet some time to do its thing - which might take some time - especially given all he's been through.

I personally had some issues with my bully, Linus, and yeast and he and my other bulldog, Truman, both eat Nature's Variety Instinct Beef and Lamb which is both grain and gluten free - and has no potatoes - which you may want to consider as an option if your bully continues to have a problem.

Thanks for sharing you pics!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.