UPDATE ~ Gypsy & Gator have Bronchitis

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Well...not going well. The bronchitis is easing up (Gator stopped coughing and no more yucky stuff from his nose) and Gypsy's nose drainage is now white or clear instead of green or yellow. So, that is progressing ok.

HOWEVER, Gator had a really, really, really bad reaction to the antibiotic. His eyes swelled and in minutes, there was brown stuff all over his face and he was breathing funny. I gave him 2 benedryl and we are now trying to wait for an hour or so before I run him to the ER vet. So far in the last 45 minutes, his breathing has normalized, and his eyes look like they are not as swollen and he is not rolling around and scratching his face as much. BUT I gave him the antibiotic this morning and now have to watch him closely until it starts to get out of his system. I am just beside myself.

PLUS, Gypsy's one spot of mange that was so bad before has now flared back up again (red and bleeding) so her immune system is in the crapper again from the illness and antibiotics. I knew this would happen. No other spots showing signs of flaring up again but I am thinking it is a matter of time....what I wouldn't give for some green tripe right now. I gave her some good liver this morning hoping to keep it up a bit and have continued with the fish oil (as I most likely will for their lifetime).

I really needed to go to work today and now I don't know if I can. Tuesday is the first day of school and I am SWAMPED with paperwork. I need some help here! lol

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Oh my, I feel so helpless. I'm sending prayers your way, for all of you, strength and good health. :pray: :pray: :pray:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhh..I wish I could say " be right over".... This sucks. Hopefully as the antibiotic gets out of his system Gator will improve..poor Gypsy..sounds like she might get more issues before she gets better...sorry for you and your babies..:hug:

Last edited:
OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you guys. Well, it has been over an hour since the Benedryl and he is sleeping peacefully for the most part but every time I get up, he gets up. He has stopped scratching and his eye swelling is MUCH better. I need to go and get a few things for him from the store but Dave is here and will watch him.

I swear, it is like two steps forward, one step back! When will this get better???? The raw feeding has us on the right track but I just feel like I am pulling my hair out trying to get everyone normalized. I can't keep them in a bubble! Ok, off my rant. lol

L

Lucy-licious

oh dear Gator will need a change of antibitics then will he? Poor baby, I have a serious Latex allergy and have had a full blown anaphylaxis..so I know how he felt at that time :hug::hug: Your a great mommy acting so fast to reverse his reaction.

hang in there this to will pass :pray:

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
oh dear Gator will need a change of antibitics then will he? Poor baby, I have a serious Latex allergy and have had a full blown anaphylaxis..so I know how he felt at that time :hug::hug: Your a great mommy acting so fast to reverse his reaction.

hang in there this to will pass :pray:

I don't know what he will need.....I will take him off the antibiotics completely at this point and see what happens. His wasn't bad like Gypsy's to begin with. Just a little cough and he sounded a little dry/rattley (ok, not a word lol) when they listened to his chest so it was more of a "just in case" situation. I will have them write in HUGE red letters on his chart that he is allergic to it that is for sure!

Latex allergy, ewww...do you have to stay away from certain foods as well? Things like banana and avocado?

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i would stay away from everything except raw ,dont be tempted ,i feel for you all,what a set back ,your strong enough to deal with all this ,keep your pecker up as we say in the uk,keep us posted ,and use the raw feed forums also they may be of great help xx,karen

L

Lucy-licious

Latex allergy, ewww...do you have to stay away from certain foods as well? Things like banana and avocado?

no, melon and grapes!! and its so not fair because they are both my favourite fruits....I have been known to eat melon with antihystamines to cover me though :shhhh:

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
no, melon and grapes!! and its so not fair because they are both my favourite fruits....I have been known to eat melon with antihystamines to cover me though :shhhh:

Oooo...bad girl! lol

[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] I am trying to stick it out. I just put some neem/lavendar on Gypsy's mange spot and won't be resorting to the vet treatment that BURNED her skin. I am, however, going to continue with benedryl with Gator until he is better. I am going to Whole Foods in a bit to get some raw acv for that brown, stinky, yeasty crap on his face. I just needed a good freak out to calm me down. lol. I will post to yahoo and see what is said.

Thank you for the support from you AND everyone! Sometimes you just need a hug or pat on the back even if it is from cyberspace!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ok..I know this is a serious sibject..but I'm having a hard time..ok..ok..I failed...at not laughing at Karens "keep your pecker up" comment...I am so amazed at how you Brits talk so nasty and get away with it! Sorry :offtopic:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I wish I could say be there in a sec to help, but it might take me a little longer than a few seconds to get to you :ROFL:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
oh boy, when it rains, it pours! i'm sorry for all your troubles and worries. All i can do is give you a big :hug: and send you lots of healthy wishes. At least there is some improvement though. You will get thru this!:yes:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my i dont know how you do it. lots of hugs and well wishes from me and sarah for sure. At least you do have someone there to help somewhat. I left to go to foodlion when sarah was sick and woke my someone up to watch her while i was gone and wouldnt ya know they was asleep when i got back. oh well. i do truly hope things get better for you soon.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Welp..took Gator to the ER vet as his swelling is not really going down enough for my comfort. They gave him "the shots" and hopefully by morning he will look like my guy. But he told me he was FAT! He was on limited activity for a month....go figure that he might be a little chunky. Geesh.

PLUS I hate it when a vet just spews what he knows about bulldogs (clean their faces daily, bracheocepalic dogs had narrow tracheas and small nares, blah, blah, blah) Yeah, that is fine but what about what is happening NOW?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.