Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I know I started a previous post on Allergies, but it got off track with discussions going into FOOD allergies, and I needed to re-focus on seasonal allergies, so I'm starting this
Post.

I just spoke to my VET tonite, and told him Maximus really needs some relief from watery/red eyes, sneezing, runny nose. He said to give him Benadryl. I'm not to big on Benadryl because it zonks him out. The VET said he can have 2 tablets per day (25mg. each).

Has anyone used Zyrtec instead? and what were the results and what dosage was given ?. . .

Thanks for your help (again) . . . . . . .

- Patrick

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi! [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] is the "queen of zyrtec".. She has been gone on vacation but should be back this weekend! She swears by zyrtec..I tagged her so she will find this!

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Lucy never got any allergy relief from benedryl or zyrtec. The vet prescribes hydroxyzine. She does great on it. She is a different dog compared to this summer vs last summer and one contributing factor is the hydroxyzine. I would certainly give zyrtec a chance first.

ziviabell

May 22, 2011
Orange County, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hershie
I don't care for benedryl either. I don't think it does much. Here is what my vet suggested. Pick one and try for a few weeks. If it does nothing, try a different one.

Clortrimaton 4 mg. -3 tablets twice a day
Tavist 1.34 mg. - 3 tablets twice a day
Zyrtec 10 mg. - 3 tablets/one to twice a day

Hope that helps.

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
I am having a similar issue. Roxi gets a zyrtec in the morning and either benadryl or chlorpheniramie in the late afternoon. She had a steroid shot about a month ago because she broke out in horrible hives and no allergy meds would help. Well now she has about 5-10 hives that have popped up within the last few days. I do not want her to get as bad as she was. [MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] if I had to pick one I would say zyrtec. It seems to be the one that gives some relief. I only give one zyrtec in the morning. Just make sure it is just zyrtec not zyrtec D. I hope this helps because I feel your pain. :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online