Question about keeping food down & pain meds

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I waited last night to give Penny food & water. I gave her about 1/4 of food & a 1/4 water. She threw both up about an hour later. 2 or 3 hours later she was pawing at her water bowl, so I gave her about the same amount of water which she threw up about 15 mins later. I gave her about the same amount of water around 6am which has stayed down. She woke up around 10 & I gave her 1/2c food which has stayed down (it's only been about 15 mins). I need to give her the pain medication (she needs it - is running every 5 mins or so like someone is pinching her & then trying to get to her belly). I don't want that to upset her stomach further. How long should I wait to see if the food stays down to give her the meds? Or, should I just give it now & hope it stays down? WWYD? She seems much more herself this morning, but I can tell is hurting some.

L

Lucy-licious

I'd give the meds now, it only takes about 20 minutes for tablets to disolve in the gut and enter the system. As for her vomitting, and I am speaking from a nurse perspective not personal experience with pets, but maybe it will help. Anaesthetic slows the motility of the gut and makes the whole system sluggish this can last upto 48 hrs. Post op we always advise to start with small amounts of fluids then build up to small amounts of solids ONLY if the fluids are staying down, and to gradually re introduce normal diet over 48 hours. maybe try her with Bland diet later today if she keeps her water down...its a lot gentler on her already stressed tummy :)
Slobbery wet Lucy kisses for Penny and a :hug: for you from me.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Thanks [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION] She is asleep and so far so good. I will try he bland diet if she continues to be sick. I didn't think of that!

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
[MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION] I agree with @Lucy-licious take it slow. Matilda sends smooshy faced kisses to Penny and hopes she feels better soon. :heart:

golfrmom64

Oct 26, 2010
Easley, SC
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzie, Abbie & Georgia
We have run into this with both of our bulldogs. Give her chicken and stars soup (any brand works)- works wonders. Only give her a 1/4 of the can broth and all and if she keeps it down 15 minutes then give her the rest. Hope this helps her and if she keeps it down - give her pain meds.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online