Torn ACL...needs TPLO

Petunia

Jul 3, 2011
My 6-year old English bulldog, Morris, has been diagnosed with a torn cruciate ligament and needs TPLO. The vet said the surgery is the best way to ensure that he can regain full use of his leg. I'm really apprehensive of the upcoming surgery. Will really appreciate any inputs here. Thanks.

L

Lucy-licious

sorry I've no experience with surgery as yet but just wanted to say hello and send you a :hug: and a snuggle for Morris too :)
someone will be along shortly who can offer more reassurance than I , but I'm sure everything will be ok :)

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Our Abby has/had a slight tear when she was about 3. Surgery was suggested however not a necessity. We opted to treat her with anti-inflammatories and natural joint supplements. In the mean time we knew she would never be able to be a very active dog. Since she was an indoor dog already we weren't really concerned. We opted not to do surgery and now at 10 she is still with us. Much slower however she still has moments of energy.

Every case is different but I strongly advise you to research it over and over again. Any surgery can be a risk for Bullies.

Good luck!!!

OP
P

Petunia

Jul 3, 2011
Thanks for the feedbacks.:)

We will be asking for a second opinion from a vet who was recommended by a friend who is also a dog owner.

I hope we'll have some good news to share:)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thanks for the feedbacks.:)

We will be asking for a second opinion from a vet who was recommended by a friend who is also a dog owner.

I hope we'll have some good news to share:)

Some owners here highly recommend getting a second opinion when it comes to invasive surgeries. :yes:

Wishing and praying that all goes well with your little one and welcome to the forum btw!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hi there! I am sorry to hear about your bully! My bulldog, Bentley had TPLO on BOTH legs. He came out of it just fine but there are a few things to keep in mind:

First, which you probably are already doing - go to an orthopedic surgeon. They are the only ones qualified to perform the surgery. I would also ask if he or she has done the surgery on bulldogs - their limbs are just not like other dogs so the more experience, the better! That said, this is a VERY common problem and the TPLO technique is pretty common now too since it lasts longer than just tying the ligament back together, especially in larger dogs.

Second, once the first ACL goes, the second one is almost surely to following. Bentley tore his first ACL at 10 months, he had TPLO. He tore his second ACL about a year later. The decreased integrity on one leg puts extra strain on the other leg so it's very tough and almost always ends up being two surgeries.

Also, make sure you follow ALL the instructions about keeping your bully from running and jumping after the surgery. The leg is held together by screws and plates that need time to heal and if one gets torn from the bone, it's big trouble.

I know it is very scary and hard but my bully came through two of these surgeries just fine and had full use of his back legs.

If you have any other specific questions, just ask! You're not alone!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I agree with everything @shehistory says. Ace our old dog has has 2 TPLOs. He did his first leg back in 03 and then the second leg tore 1.5 years later. It's an extensive surgery and you MUST follow the rehab, it's very crucial for thier healing. I'd add more on my experience but I'm at work. Feel free to pm me too, we can even chat on the phone if you'd like. Ace wasn't a bulldog though, he's a pit. Good luck!!!!

Last edited:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I wanted to add that even though Ace had to have two surgeries, it was so worth it. He's was better than new after he healed and his last TPLO was k in early 05. He's almost 13 now.

Last edited:

alilip

Sep 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Capone
Our 2.5 year old bully, Capone, tore his right ACL (or CCL in the dog world) one year ago. We had a TPLO done on that leg 10/7/10. It was the best decision that we could have made. Yes, it was pricey and a LOT of work during the healing process, but his leg is better than ever. This past Saturday, my fiance and I were both gone from the house (Capone was crated) and he wouldn't come out of his cage when my fiance got home. He was limping on his other leg. We took him in yesterday and sure enough, fully torn. He's actually in surgery as we speak. I completely agree on getting a second opinion, as we did too, but don't be scared of the surgery. I was terrified on his first one, did a TON of research, but it was the best decision we could have made. Oh the things we do for our bullys!! Good luck to you!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.