Hip Popping

JanieSue

Aug 9, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lou Lou
We have Lou Lou who is 4 mo old, You can feel her hip pop, not hear it but you can fill it when she walks. She dose not act like she is in pain and is very playful. What do yall thank, this is my 1st Bull Dog and I love her so much!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hi [MENTION=2970]JanieSue[/MENTION] I am sorry it took so long to answer this but I have some experience with hip issues and English Bulldogs and my advice is to absolutely get this checked out. I say this because I had a bulldog puppy with severe hip dyplasia. Several vets recommended we put him down however because we caught it early, we found treatment options were available. I am sure that your bully's hips are not too severe from the sounds of things but I would trust your instincts and check it out with a vet or, better yet, an orthopedic surgeon, who can evaluate the hips and recommend treatment options if there is a problem. Here is an article I wrote about hip dysplasia in English Bulldogs based on my experiences. I hope that helps but if you have any other questions, please ask!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Quick bump on this [MENTION=2970]JanieSue[/MENTION] just to see if anything came of this...hopefully you checked back and forgive the late response!

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
My Bruno had the same thing at 4 months also. When he went up and down the stairs I would put my hands on his tush to kinda of help him along I would feel a pop in his hips. I had the vet look at it one day while on a vaccine appt. He told me not to worry and that because he was still a pup and still growing it was fairly common. He didnt take any xrays or anything, he just kind of felt him a little, and had him run around to see if he hopped along like a bunny with his two hind legs. He walked and ran normally in his eyes.
He has never had a problem and is fine today. He is 1yr 8 months old now. Have vet ( you trust ) give you an opinion and give him some time to grow and develop.

OP
J

JanieSue

Aug 9, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lou Lou
Sorry,
House flooded life went crazy, Lou Lou went to the vet and he seams to think she is ok, No hip problem, but being a good mommy I will do check up's and I am also watching her weight and stuff. She is my 1st bull dog and I love her so much!!!!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Is it me or has everyone else also noticed the Advertisements always correlate to the thread's issue....

Kevrogers

Jul 12, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
We have Rogue, our 4 month old, who also has this hip popping with every step. She is going to be checked out when she goes to the vet soon. Hoping that it is something that will improve as she fully grows.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would definitely start any bulldog on a glucosamine supplement and turmeric while young just in case they may eventually develop orthopedic problems in the future. I've been giving my dog Actiflex-4000 for the glucosamine component since it's meant for horses and works out cheaper. I take her for 15-20 min walks at least once a day. I also try to keep my dog's weight down, but it's tough because if I feed her too little she dry heaves in the middle of the night. If dog is actually in pain then I would go for the pricier supplements like Movoflex (contains eggshell membrane) or Dasuquin (contains Avocado/Soybean Unsaponifiables) along with Galliprant anti inflammatory for pain.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I would definitely start any bulldog on a glucosamine supplement and turmeric while young just in case they may eventually develop orthopedic problems in the future. I've been giving my dog Actiflex-4000 for the glucosamine component since it's meant for horses and works out cheaper. I take her for 15-20 min walks at least once a day. I also try to keep my dog's weight down, but it's tough because if I feed her too little she dry heaves in the middle of the night. If dog is actually in pain then I would go for the pricier supplements like Movoflex (contains eggshell membrane) or Dasuquin (contains Avocado/Soybean Unsaponifiables) along with Galliprant anti inflammatory for pain.
[MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] I have started Hank on this and I think you said a teaspoon for 50lb's aprox? Or was it a teaspoon for person.. Dang,,,Anyway, I am giving him and I both a teaspoon until I checked what you had figured. Hank is 45lbs...

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would cut Hank down to 1/2 tsp per day, or at most 3/4 tsp per day.

On another group https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/forums/topic/joint-health/someone quoted the following doses of Actiflex-4000 to be used for dogs:
25-50 pounds

1 tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days
½ tsp. daily maintenance dose

50-75 pounds:

1 ½ tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days
¾ tsp. daily maintenance dose
[MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] I have started Hank on this and I think you said a teaspoon for 50lb's aprox? Or was it a teaspoon for person.. Dang,,,Anyway, I am giving him and I both a teaspoon until I checked what you had figured. Hank is 45lbs...

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I would cut Hank down to 1/2 tsp per day, or at most 3/4 tsp per day.

On another group https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/forums/topic/joint-health/someone quoted the following doses of Actiflex-4000 to be used for dogs:
25-50 pounds

1 tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days
½ tsp. daily maintenance dose

50-75 pounds:

1 ½ tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days
¾ tsp. daily maintenance dose

Thank you so very Much :) !!!! what ya think for a 135lb female... human ;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.