FAiNTiNG?!?

DiXiE

Aug 5, 2011
Katy, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
DiXiE
Hey guys, i was curious to know if anyone else has had an experience like mine... Dixie is our bulldog and sometimes she will get sick for no apparent reason and afterwards she faints... It looks like one of those fainting goats (legs sticking straight out and stiff, and she just plops over). She doesn't throw up food, it's more like a thick spit and it happens at any given time (didn't just eat, not over heated... Could be just laying there). She will get sick, rock back and forth, her eyes roll back into her head and she faints then bounces right back up again in seconds. She is a little dazed afterwards but then is right back to normal. She is in perfect health, vet says she is in great condition. Has anymore else had this "fainting goat" experience too? It's really scary and i freak out everytime it happens. Plz help... Thank u!! Sorry i know the fainting goat comparison might seem kinda funny/ country but that's literally what it's like!!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
could they be whats called drop attacks,its a form of epilepsy ,obviously not a grandmal,my daughter has drop attacks and what you describe is exactly what happens to her,just a thought,karen

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I know somebody on here has had a similar experience. I'd like to say it was [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] but I could be wrong!! :blush2:

I am sure that who ever it was will find this thread and let you know how they dealt with it!!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Oliver did that once after vomiting just a little bit of yellow bile. Scared the bejeebers out of me too, but within a few seconds, he was back up and tossing toys around the living room like nothing had ever happened. He hasn't done it since, though he has vomited bile a couple of times since then. I think they just cut off their oxygen supply when they are straining so hard to heave and that is why they faint. I don't believe it is any kind of seizure or epilepsy. Just keep a close eye on Dixie next time she does it. You could even describe the incident to your vet and see what they say if it will make you feel any better.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig did that a couple of times within a week when we got him at 5 months old. He would faint right after he threw some white mucous-like stuff up and bounce back after a couple of seconds. It's due to a lack of oxygen like Kim said above. I guess the best place to start is to try to figure out why Dixie was throwing up in the first place. I figured Stig's was due to all the leaves and grass he was eating, so we tried to control that and he hasn't fainted ever since.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Whoa... my brother's labrador retriever does that. It's a form of canine epilepsy. There can be a whole slew of causes for canine epilepsy - some hereditary - and only testing with a vet can identify the cause for your particular case. In my brother's dog's case, he has hypothyroidism. He only gets the seizure very occassionally, so he doesn't take any meds for it.

Donna LeBlanc

Jul 7, 2011
East Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Punkie Brewster
Punkie did that, too! You'll NEVER believe what was wrong with her!! Indigestion!! Yep...unbelieveable, huh? We give Punkie a 20 mg Pepcid every morning with her plain yogurt. She hasn't "fainted" since we started the Pepcid treatment. The bile/thick saliva they throw up is because they have indigestion!

OP
DiXiE

DiXiE

Aug 5, 2011
Katy, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
DiXiE
Wow thanks guys!! Yall are so great. I'm glad to know we aren't the only ones that have experienced this!! She's been tested for all the seizure stuff and it came back neg so i guess we should try the indigestion thing. I started splitting her food up throughout the day instead of feeding her all at once (she wouldnt eat it all at once anyways) and since then she hasn't done it!! So donna, i think ur on to something lol

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gypsy fainted after throwing up once too. VERY scary. Keep your phone or a camera handy and next time, try to get a video to show your vet.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I think it's just passing out. Orion has done it. If you watch them...they really are not breathing as they are doing the "stomach roll" before the :barf:. Sometimes it takes them a minute to heave up the stomach bile. What happens when you don't get any air? :faint: I know what epilepsy is, Vegas has it. I know what head bobbing, petit mal, grand mal, facial twitching and bubble gum fits and all the other "stuff" that comes with a pup having epilepsy. If what you are describing is what I'm thinking...lack of air. Did Dixie get back up as soon as she passed out and start breathing again? I really hope that's what it is. It sound like the majority of the people that have responded with similar stories (this has come up a couple of times before in other posts) it's just a lack of air.

(my mom says I use to do this as a baby. I'd throw a fit and hold my breath. My mom stopped freaking after the first few times. Eventually she knew...I'd pass out from the lack of air...and start breathing again)

[MENTION=2952]DiXiE[/MENTION]

Last edited:
L

Lucy-licious

This has been brought up a number of times and like [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] says general consensus is that they are simply fainting due to lack of air. I personally would not start treating her for indegestion on the back of one episode, but if you are considering giving Dixie pepto I would advise you to discuss it with your vet first.

Donna LeBlanc

Jul 7, 2011
East Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Punkie Brewster
I hope the Pepcid works for you! Another thing we do which might help too is to free feed. We leave dry food out with plenty of fresh water at all times. Using the free feeding method helps because a dog is less likely to "gulp" their food down all at once. Gulping food is dangerous and can cause bloat which can be fatal.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Buddy used to do that too after vomiting, but does not do it anymore. I think it is just a lack of O2 from the vomiting.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online