sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hi everyone! It's been a while!

Truman was doing a lot of itching recently, to the extent he broke open some skin on his tummy and leg from itching. We took him to the vet to get checked out because baths in Epsom salt and doses of Benadryl didn't seem to help. Our vet diagnosed him with superficial pyoderma, which, from my understanding, is a general terms used for a skin infection. The affected areas are mostly his legs and belly so I am guessing rather than stemming from a food allergy, it's something he's laying on. In the meantime, he's on a 14 day cycle of antibiotics to help clear it up but our vet told us that the infection sometimes requires more - although the vet assured us this is very common.

I did a bit of research on EBN on pyoderma and it looks like [MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] as some experience but if anyone else has any experience with this, I am looking for options to keep this from coming back since it sounds like re-occurrence is common. I am also looking for ways to control the itching while the antibiotics start working. Benadryl doesn't seem to help at all.

Thank you!

Jul 12, 2011
Geneva, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Winchester
Most bulldog allergies are related to the food. I recommend getting your dog off any food that has grains of any kind. I have helped several people with bulldogs with allergy problems and you would be surprised once they change their diet, within 3 weeks there hairs grows back and no more itching problems.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I feed Nature's Variety Instinct, which is grain and gluten free so I'm pretty sure it's not the food. Since the itchy spots seem to be localized on the legs and tummy, I was leaning towards something I am using to wash the bedding, towels, or floor that he lays on that is coming into contact with his skin.

L

Lucy-licious

[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] may have some useful ideas she is struggling with Annie and contact allergies :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] may have some useful ideas she is struggling with Annie and contact allergies :)
Yes..you took the words right out of my mouth! And that's NOT easy! Also [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] swears by zyrtec..it works much better for duke than benadryl..she is on vacation..but maybe she will check in! You might pm her..bet she gets her email.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Bubba developed the same thing a few weeks back. Rash all over his belly and legs. Vet seemed to think he layed in something outside that caused it. He too was itching like crazy and breaking his skin open. He put him on anti-inflammatory's. It stopped the itching almost right away. He also rec that I use a specific anit-bacterial shampoo (chlorhexidine) to bath him once/day with to get rid of all the skabby areas and let it heal. 3 days later-all healed. Try it..its worth a shot!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i have finally found a antihistamine that works,its called chlorphenamine maleate its whats in piriton only i buy the chemist own brand at a third of the price,she was up tp 60mg a day .she weighs 641b,but yesterday i only gave her 40mg,im also giving her apple cider vinegar in her morning meal ,every morning when she gets up its her itchiest time,i have been up 30 mins and she hasnt itched once!!!!,is this just a lull in her allergy?a fluke lol,4 months of constant itching and tshirt wearing .creaming 3 times a day its driven both her and me round the twist,you need to start looking at food,the problem is you could make it worse by swapping and changing foods,i recomend raw feed as its the only way you can really know what your dog is eating ,if raw is not for you then feed the best kibble you can,the problem is all true ingredients are not written on the label,if the rash doesnt clear then it could be contact/environmental which is harder to deal with,annie hasnt been on the grass/carpets for 1 week now and the difference up to now is great ,belly clear her pits are very damp ,now wether thats due to wearing a tshirt i dont really know as dogs have glands all over the body is it oil??,yet more research to do lol,good luck its hard work trying to figure out whats causing the itching but try all antihistamines there will be 1 that suits,karen

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hi everyone! It's been a while!

Truman was doing a lot of itching recently, to the extent he broke open some skin on his tummy and leg from itching. We took him to the vet to get checked out because baths in Epsom salt and doses of Benadryl didn't seem to help. Our vet diagnosed him with superficial pyoderma, which, from my understanding, is a general terms used for a skin infection. The affected areas are mostly his legs and belly so I am guessing rather than stemming from a food allergy, it's something he's laying on. In the meantime, he's on a 14 day cycle of antibiotics to help clear it up but our vet told us that the infection sometimes requires more - although the vet assured us this is very common.

I did a bit of research on EBN on pyoderma and it looks like [MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] as some experience but if anyone else has any experience with this, I am looking for options to keep this from coming back since it sounds like re-occurrence is common. I am also looking for ways to control the itching while the antibiotics start working. Benadryl doesn't seem to help at all.

Thank you!

Yep, Maximus just finished a 30-day course of Antibiotics for Pyoderma/Dermatitis. His skin has completely healed from all the scabby sores and all of his bald patches have regrown hair. The VET explained that the 'bacterial' infection needed to heal from the inside out, and it requires a longer course of treatment at a lower dosage of antibiotic.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
When Molly got this it was due to stress and lowering of her immune system while she was nursing Yuna and Tidus. I know you went on that long trip, so just wondering if stress maybe played a part in him developing this?

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
When Molly got this it was due to stress and lowering of her immune system while she was nursing Yuna and Tidus. I know you went on that long trip, so just wondering if stress maybe played a part in him developing this?

Thanks everyone - good advice here.

Yes, I really do think that my trip had something to do with it because he was fine before and I know bullies are just the sensitive sort that have these things happen when their routine is disrupted. :(

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Poor Truman ... I'm no help but I do hope he feels better soon. :hug:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.