Anesthisia Hypoxia! Waiting and seeing!

LauraB

Feb 4, 2011
Reynoldsburg, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hey everyone! I am reaching out because my Lola was supposed to get spayed by our vet Wednesday and even experienced a problem with her breathing/medication when they put her under. They had to re-tube her, her heart rate dropped really low but they were able to reverse it and get her back. But somehow, even though they were fast, there is residual damage. At first she was blind and couldn't react at all. Then later she could walk, albeit with left back leg dragging and circling behavior. Very little spirit or recognician of me.

That was Wednesday night/Thursday. She rallied yesterday and even ate/drank some. Had to liquify everything and get her to lick from a spoon. Today is more like Weds. My vet is so upset too. It goes to show that even with someone that is knowledgeable about bulldogs, the soft palate problems can cause issues even with a seasoned vet. I could go on about everything I learned and we did so far but for now I just need to write this and make contact with you guys. Via the site it is possible to communicate and not cry, lol!

So I am trying to hang in here. Watching for any little improvement but really almost grieving. The vet says we will go to the neurologist Monday or Tuesday but it may take a few weeks before we know how much she could recover. But my gut and knowledge of her is screaming that we are not coming up. I am trying to be positive and thought I'd reach out and see if there are any good stories out there. I know that hypoxia brain damage can cause the circling. Thank God my boss is cool, she let me work from home yesterday and then half day today. So please send some prayers up, we need a miracle. . :begging::scared::begging:Laura and Lola!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Oh my heavens.....Prayers are on the way love. Hang tight.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Praying for Lola to get better really soon. Be strong young lady. Hugs to you and your mom.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I feel so horrible for you- I have no words that I can even express to you about how my heart aches for you both, prayers and miracles for you... Xxoo

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
oh my gosh Laura!! Good healing and restorative thoughts coming Lola's way!!! Hang in there and put everything else out of your mind except just getting the best possible treatment for her.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Laura, I am not very good at expressing my feelings of worry, sadness and grief so forgive me if this is awkward but I just had to say that my heart goes out to both of you. Lola is just so beautiful and I hope beyond hope that she will recover. PLEASE keep us posted on her progress (and yours because I know you are barely hanging on). *hugs*

OP
LauraB

LauraB

Feb 4, 2011
Reynoldsburg, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Good morning everyone. Just an update from this morning. She is still sleeping an awful lot and very wobbly when walking. But is a little improved. This morning I saw some good things. She ate more of the yogurt/canned food than she has so far. She went poop in yard! Thank God as it was nasty and crate would have been another full bath!

I also gave her a very good bath and brushed her. She really seemed to enjoy it. And then the topper, she followed me for short say 8' lengths. Didn't wander off or circle. So maybe this is a good sign. Vet and I will talk again tomorrow and Tuesday. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the prayers, I am a true believer that prayer makes a difference. And it was so nice to know that you all are here. It is weird as they are like our family. It feels embarrassing to be so upset about a "Dog". Or at least it seems so when talking to non bullie owners. But yesterday proved one thing to me. I stayed up too long, carried her up too many stairs. I needed to sleep and destress a little or I won't be able to take care of her. So I got her all tucked in and went to bed early. I do feel alot better this morning. I have COPD so all the extra carrying and stuff just drains me more than a spring chicken. It was a good decision if I go by my attitude this morning. Anyway, hugs to you all. I will give another update soon. HUGS Laura in Ohio

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Thank you for the update, I have been praying for Lola and you like crazy. The power is immense. I appreciate the update just to know I can keep sending it your way. Have a very blessed day. Sherry:pray:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry to hear about Lola, and glad to hear she is doing a little better today. We will keep the good thoughts heading your way and will keep Lola in our prayers. :pray:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.