Anyone ever use the off-brand Flea Treatments?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We don't use any topical flea treatment the only thing we use is Sentinel heartworn and it works for fleas too. We have never had a flea problem yet. (knock on wood) :)

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
Hello.....I had a visit to the vet saturday and asked them what is the better brand, and I was told that WalMart and Sam's Club brand is the same as Frontline Plus. They said that Frontline lost their patent to it and it is under Walmart And Sam's Club now. It is worth trying at a fraction of the price!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I use diatomaceous earth on all my dogs have not seen one flea on them this summer.

HuddysBuddy

Mar 14, 2011
Columbia, Pa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
after annie had a severe reaction to frontline i stopped using it,i now give her a fresh garlic clove daily and have not seen a flea or tick,it has taken 4 months to build up in her system though.karen

I have heard that works great. We use a bottle cap of beer every day (I know you shouldn't give a dog beer, but it is only a metal bottle cap) and then a glass of water. Hudson loves it, we have never seen a flea or tick, and it doesn't take any time to build up in their system. A friend recommended it to me and we tried it and it worked better than the flea stuff we were using at the time.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
what share my beer no way lol,well if it works thats good,karen

nikkip410

Aug 5, 2011
STATEN ISLAND NEW YORK
Bulldog(s) Names
REX
I have the hardest time applying rex's flea and tick treatment .. I was using revolution and he had gotten 4 ticks in one week and i reaslly dont even live in a wooded area .. I now give him frontline .. But everytime i put it on him he bugs out and throws himself all over the house and rolls around like a maniac

Attachments

• 01 acethebathound.jpg
    01 acethebathound.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 32

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
its the chemicals in frontline that cause that reaction,its like the dog is drunk!!,karen

NICASFINEST

Dec 9, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
BUGZY
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION]-my bully also got an allergic reaction to frontline that developed into a hot spot- it was horrible...ever since then i have given him comfortis once a month he chews a beef flavored tablet and has worked great!!! but i have also heard about garlic and how it keeps the ticks away....

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I just read an article that is about the mail order frontline. Apparently there is a problem with counterfeits and there have been a few episodes of dogs getting extremely I'll. The article did state..there have been no problems reported from fosters and smith and petmeds..the large mail order companies buy from legitimate sources..but apparently there are a ton of places online to buy flea products. The article stated there would be an advisory issued soon..just not sure if it's a consumer advisory or industry one. Apparently these counterfeits are coming from China and totally look authentic.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have heard good things about this but have not researched it yet. Can you give me a brief run down?
You know..I have heard of this too..we use this in our pool filter..but an interesting note..we are not allowed to flush our pool filter down the city gutters because they flow to ocean and diatomaceous earth is not allowed.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
You know..I have heard of this too..we use this in our pool filter..but an interesting note..we are not allowed to flush our pool filter down the city gutters because they flow to ocean and diatomaceous earth is not allowed.
That is interesting. And very relevant. Thank you for that info.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
For me, it isn't a question of whether or not it works. I have had a cat that had seizures and almost passed away from a topical flea treatment from Wally World. This was many years ago and I don't remember the name (about 8 years?). He never was right again after that. He was still a bit slow. His seizures were almost constant for two days even though he was loaded up on meds from the ER vet. I wouldn't use them (as someone said recently), if the emperor of the world told me to.

This also happened to my best friend's kitty, who did pass away after being treated with an off name flea medication. I guess it's better safe than sorry when it comes to something you are giving your pet on a regular basis that is, after all, a poison.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i never thought about frontline as a pesticide before annie had a reaction,we are simply putting chemicals into our dogs system which they cannot tollerate,i had used frontline twice before her reaction with no ill effect ,i got mine from a supermarket so it was legitimate ,but for some dogs fleas are a massive problem so its a dillema really,karen

OP
Bulliemom25

Bulliemom25

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Kramer :)
Is diatomaceous earth something you have to get from the vet? Is it applied like frontline would be applied? I'd like to get more info on that product, seems like a good alternative!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online