Anyone ever use the off-brand Flea Treatments?

Bulliemom25

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Kramer :)
Hello All,Has anyone ever used the off-brand flea treatments (the generic brands from walmart versus Advantix or Front Line their bullies? My friend has a poodle and uses an off-brand that she purchased from Walmart for literally a quarter of the price, and saysit works just as well as Front Line. Her dog has been tick free all summer. Any thoughts or experiences?Thanks for the advice!

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
I honestly use the cheaper brand at petsmart (biospot) and it basically does all the same stuff. I live in a wooded area and my bully has not had any fleas, ticks or bites. If you compare the brands they all normally protect against fleas, ticks, flea eggs and the normal stuff. I think advantix takes it a step further to include like mosquitos and other buggies. It's all up to you and the area you live in, but I've used the generic on all my animals and never had a problem :)

OP
Bulliemom25

Bulliemom25

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Kim! Brutus is GORGEOUS btw. Front Line is a fortune, so it's nice to know that I can use the cheaper stuff and it will work just the same!

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Aww thank you! I actually just talked to my mom and she said she uses Walmart brand...the organic one? She's very green like that and says it works just fine....she lives in a wooded area by water so that means lots of bugs lol.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
And here is the bad opinion. I bought some of the Hartz brand at Wallie World last year. Before I used it I asked Princess Gracie's vet about it. I was told that there have been some canine deaths from the Hartz brand. I bought the Advantix and threw ou the Hartz. Take it for what it's worth.... that is what I was told at the Vet's office.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
BioSpotVictims.org - Bio Spot Flea & Tick for Dogs - Consumer Alert

http://www.hartzvictims.org/

See above links.

All flea treatments are technically hazardous. They are POISON after all.

But, looking under google search, I do NOT see websites such as the two above for Frontline, Advantix, ect. You are SAFER, but not completely in the clear, if you use a vet recommended flea treatment.

Anytime you use any of these products, you should also be watching your dog for any adverse reactions and if so bathe dog immediately! The best thing to do is to NOT use them if you don't have a flea problem, and try to treat the SOURCE of the fleas rather than your pet.

I believe you are better off with the heartworm PLUS flea preventative chew from your vet than any of the topical flea treatments. But in a year that could have a recall too, so you never know!

OP
Bulliemom25

Bulliemom25

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks guys. Definatley not even attempting the Hartz brand then! We live in a wooded area as well, I'm give the organic walmart brand a try! I believe that the same one the poodle-owner uses.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I don't mess around with fleas. They can multiply very very fast and I don't want to have to worry about it. I know Advantix works - my dog gets it with his monthly grooming at the salon during flea season - uhm, I have a prissy bichon frise.

I'm still debating whether to take Bullie to the salon with Gizmo once a month. My husband constantly teases me about my "high-maintenance bling'd-up dog" and he even tries to rip out his ear-ribbons! So I'm thinking Bullie's gonna be a spray-hose in the backyard dog... so, not sure yet what to do with his flea thing - i'm probably going to stick with advantix though.

OP
Bulliemom25

Bulliemom25

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so afraid of lyme disease for my bullie. Growing up in a wooded area, we have seen many dogs suffer from ticks. Being able to treat fleas and ticks is probably worth the risks of NOT treating them right?

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
after annie had a severe reaction to frontline i stopped using it,i now give her a fresh garlic clove daily and have not seen a flea or tick,it has taken 4 months to build up in her system though.karen

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
For me, it isn't a question of whether or not it works. I have had a cat that had seizures and almost passed away from a topical flea treatment from Wally World. This was many years ago and I don't remember the name (about 8 years?). He never was right again after that. He was still a bit slow. His seizures were almost constant for two days even though he was loaded up on meds from the ER vet. I wouldn't use them (as someone said recently), if the emperor of the world told me to.

OP
Bulliemom25

Bulliemom25

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
My heart is breaking for your cat! That's horrible. I'll certainly have to check with Kramer's vet before I stick any old tick treatment into his skin. Hopefully we won't be one of the horror stories :begging:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
For me, it isn't a question of whether or not it works. I have had a cat that had seizures and almost passed away from a topical flea treatment from Wally World. This was many years ago and I don't remember the name (about 8 years?). He never was right again after that. He was still a bit slow. His seizures were almost constant for two days even though he was loaded up on meds from the ER vet. I wouldn't use them (as someone said recently), if the emperor of the world told me to.
OH! My cat also had a reaction to topical treatment..it was revolution! She didn't have seizures..but foamed at the mouth and was "frozen" in place for awhile. I took her to the vet and the vet insisted there was NO way her problems came from the topical treatment..soooo..I got a new vet! She hadn't gotten any since but I reluctantly have used it on my dogs...but it's been months and I'm searching for an alternative..the garlic cloves sound interesting that [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] uses...:hmm: and before you ask..that pissy looking kitty in my avatar isn't her!! :laugh:

Most Reactions