Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever use the off-brand Flea Treatments?

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone ever use the off-brand Flea Treatments?

For me, it isn't a question of whether or not it works. I have had a cat that had seizures and almost passed away from a topical flea treatment from Wally World. This was many years ago and I don't remember the name (about 8 years?). He never was right again after that. He was still a bit slow. His seizures were almost constant for two days even though he was loaded up on meds from the ER vet. I wouldn't use them (as someone said recently), if the emperor of the world told me to.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Kramer :)
    Likes (Received)

My heart is breaking for your cat! That's horrible. I'll certainly have to check with Kramer's vet before I stick any old tick treatment into his skin. Hopefully we won't be one of the horror stories

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GatorRay View Post
    For me, it isn't a question of whether or not it works. I have had a cat that had seizures and almost passed away from a topical flea treatment from Wally World. This was many years ago and I don't remember the name (about 8 years?). He never was right again after that. He was still a bit slow. His seizures were almost constant for two days even though he was loaded up on meds from the ER vet. I wouldn't use them (as someone said recently), if the emperor of the world told me to.
    OH! My cat also had a reaction to topical treatment..it was revolution! She didn't have seizures..but foamed at the mouth and was "frozen" in place for awhile. I took her to the vet and the vet insisted there was NO way her problems came from the topical treatment..soooo..I got a new vet! She hadn't gotten any since but I reluctantly have used it on my dogs...but it's been months and I'm searching for an alternative..the garlic cloves sound interesting that @karenben uses... and before you ask..that pissy looking kitty in my avatar isn't her!!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

We don't use any topical flea treatment the only thing we use is Sentinel heartworn and it works for fleas too. We have never had a flea problem yet. (knock on wood)
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Pooper scooper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gucci & Louie
    Likes (Received)

Hello.....I had a visit to the vet saturday and asked them what is the better brand, and I was told that WalMart and Sam's Club brand is the same as Frontline Plus. They said that Frontline lost their patent to it and it is under Walmart And Sam's Club now. It is worth trying at a fraction of the price!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I use diatomaceous earth on all my dogs have not seen one flea on them this summer.

Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tucker
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by karenben View Post
    after annie had a severe reaction to frontline i stopped using it,i now give her a fresh garlic clove daily and have not seen a flea or tick,it has taken 4 months to build up in her system though.karen
    I have heard that works great. We use a bottle cap of beer every day (I know you shouldn't give a dog beer, but it is only a metal bottle cap) and then a glass of water. Hudson loves it, we have never seen a flea or tick, and it doesn't take any time to build up in their system. A friend recommended it to me and we tried it and it worked better than the flea stuff we were using at the time.

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

what share my beer no way lol,well if it works thats good,karen

Real Name
    NIKKI
    Bulldog(s) Names
    REX
    Likes (Received)

I have the hardest time applying rex's flea and tick treatment .. I was using revolution and he had gotten 4 ticks in one week and i reaslly dont even live in a wooded area .. I now give him frontline .. But everytime i put it on him he bugs out and throws himself all over the house and rolls around like a maniac

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

its the chemicals in frontline that cause that reaction,its like the dog is drunk!!,karen

Bulldog(s) Names
    BUGZY
    Likes (Received)

@karenben-my bully also got an allergic reaction to frontline that developed into a hot spot- it was horrible...ever since then i have given him comfortis once a month he chews a beef flavored tablet and has worked great!!! but i have also heard about garlic and how it keeps the ticks away....

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

I just read an article that is about the mail order frontline. Apparently there is a problem with counterfeits and there have been a few episodes of dogs getting extremely I'll. The article did state..there have been no problems reported from fosters and smith and petmeds..the large mail order companies buy from legitimate sources..but apparently there are a ton of places online to buy flea products. The article stated there would be an advisory issued soon..just not sure if it's a consumer advisory or industry one. Apparently these counterfeits are coming from China and totally look authentic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads