Help with my bulldog riding in a car

igiveo2

Oct 12, 2010
I need some advice. When my mom died, my bulldog Winston almost had a heat stroke from all of the tension going on at the house (she died at home via hospice). We had to rush him to the vet's office and he almost died. I really thought that I was going to loose my mom and Winston the same day. Luckily they saved him but now when he gets in the car (which he loves to do) he starts panicing and acts like he is going to have another stroke. We would love to get him over the fear of riding in the car, because he is such a sweet baby we would love to take him places. How should I start getting him used to being in the car without him getting so anxious? Any suggestions?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
My condolences to you.

I've never had this happen to me, but I do have a dog that is scared of water (pool, rain, beach).

What we did to get him over this fear is to just introduce him very slowly to it. Like, first, we would go to the beach and he would just sit in the beach tent the entire time. We did this for a few weeks. Then he started to walk with us up and down the beach. After a few months, he would step on the wet sand. He still won't go into the water, but at least he doesn't go psychotic when we go to the beach anymore. He is now comfortable just walking up to the surf which is just fine with us.

Maybe you can do something like that? Like, maybe just let him sit with you in the car without it moving and with all the doors open (hopefully it's not hot where you live). Give lots of praise. Then after a few days of that, turn on the engine still with the doors open. Then after a few days, close the doors and go down the driveway. Then after a few days maybe a spin around the block. That kind of thing.

Hope you all feel better soon.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i dont think i could say it any better than [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION]. i was going to suggest the same thing. slowly reintroduce the car to him and if he balks at something then back up a few steps and just keep at it. i dont usually suggest this but maybe a 1/2 or a whole benadryl just to help keep him calm if you must take him somewhere like the vets office or something like that otherwise just work with him as long as it takes.

traciehorne

Feb 2, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey, Otis and Diesel
I'm so sorry for your loss.....
May I suggest having the car off in the driveway or garage with the doors open.. and allow him to go in and out at his leisure. Maybe put a couple of his toys in the car or some treats?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Those are things I would likely do as well. Maybe you can give him treats while in the car. Then maybe he will associate the car with something good? I am sorry for the loss of your mother.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
anatess said it all....

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My only input is that you are now scared to put him in the car and rightly so ..... you now expect him to behave in a certain way when he gets in the car. Everything about that car he gets from you and only you. As soon as you approach that car and you are apprehensive and in the back of your mind you are expecting the worst .. that's what will happen because your bully will feel everything you feel.

So although all the advice you've been given is excellent you also have to realise that he is going to mirror any and every feeling you have. So unless you can control that then Winston will not make much progress.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry for your loss, and everyone has good advice and I think [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] hit the nail on the head. Also try giving treats in the car in the drive way until he associates the car with something good. Hope it works, it just takes time.

OP
igiveo2

igiveo2

Oct 12, 2010
Thanks guys! That is what we ha thought about doing but we live in SC so it is a little too hot to try that right now. Unless we start the car and cool it down first? I appreciate all your help and condolences!

Lkane0322

Nov 27, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
I agree with starting small rides. Maybe a few blocks every couple days and build him up. And be calm. He picks up on that. So sorry for your loss.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.